Which: Technics RPF880 or Philips HP890
Jan 3, 2004 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LadFromWales85

New Head-Fier
Hey all.

Aint been ere in a while, but came here on the lookout for headphones, expecting to see loads of talk about those technics, but nothing.

I've had a set of RPF800's and liked them a lot, before the drive units started to come loose all of a sudden :s

I am really interested in the Philips HP890's. and I can get them for £50 at Amazon, but I am also really interested in the Technics RPF880's, avail for £45 currently at Currys.

Does anyone have any experience with the Philips or Technics set.

I am really looking for a set with good powerful bass which isnt overpowering of the rest of the music, as well as good mids and highs, but I also want them to be very comfortable.

I have heared that the Philips have poor build quality and have too much highs or something :s

Any help is much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Shaun

Jan 3, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi and welcome back, Shaun!

Apart from you and me, I think, the Technics RP-F880 hasn't caught anyone's attention, yet. It looks interesting, though - it could well be a nice contender in the <100 Euro class. At least the semi-open design and the 50 mm drivers could be worth a try... Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in a retail store around here, yet - so far, it's only available by online order. Build quality and comfort should be good, if the picture on the German web site can be trusted...

The Philips HP890, is comparision, is well known. Some like it quite abit, some find it too bright or unnaturally wide in the soundstage. Personally, I found it fairly good for the price, maybe a tad too bright sometimes, but also very detailed and spatious sounding. What kept me from keeping it, though, were comfort issues: The automatic headband mechanism was too weak, so the earcups kind of hung rather heavily on my eartips. Could be amended by a little diy fumbling, I'd think...

Another interesting contender for you could be the Beyerdynamic DT531. There are plenty positive comments on it to be found via the search function...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks to Lini's advice I bought a pair of HP890s and I think they are superb. Comfort wise on me they fit fantasticly, the velour pads are really comfortable, and I really do like the auto adjusting headband.

As for the sound, I can't really comment, as they are my first 'serious' headphones, but they sound great!
biggrin.gif

Cheers Lini!

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 14
P.s Shaun, You can get the Hp890s for £50 from Dixons, however alot of stores don't have stock, had to go all the way to newcastle to pick mine up..now only 2 left!

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 14
So, if you was to get either of the sets I mentioned, which would you choose? And why?

I have heared that the build quality of the philips is a bit poor, but they dont look it, but the Technics do look well built
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I haven't tried the Technics, but I must say I was impressed with the Philips build quality - they fit snugly to my head, but the only 'downisde' is that they are large - but if you're using them only at home they are fine!

Jan 3, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Was the automatic headband on the Philips ok for you, or did you find that the weight of the phones made them drop down a bit?

Whats the bass response like in them, If the RPF880's are anything like the 800's, then they will be good, but I am slightly put off philips by their crappy cordless headphones, no competion to a set of corded
600smile.gif

I am pulling my hair out trying to choose between them now, lol

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 14
Yeah the headband is great for me, they are heavy phones but they fit very nicely.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't really comment on bass response, as these are my first serious cans...
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 14
I am leaning towards the Philips more all of a sudden, perhaps because they are big headphones, have a removable cable, and have a more professional look to them...also because they have been discussed a lot here
smily_headphones1.gif

I am itching to just order them now, but I really wanna hear something on the Technics set first. bah

Jan 3, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Shaun, if you search this forum with 'Philips 890' you can find 3 or 4 really indepth reviews, all praising them... lookup especially for pink floyds revew and jan meiers review, I'm sure they'll sway you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, comparing them now to el-cheapo phones, the bass is there and really very controlled..

Jan 6, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Nice! They came early
biggrin.gif

They seem easily driven by my amplifier, thank god, recent sony amps seem to have a reasonably wussy headphone output
frown.gif
Anyone know of a decent, loud and cheap headphone amp to run thru my headphone out?

They are really comfortable, but I do feel that the headband elastic is a bit weak, but its bearable...they look and feel very well made, which is a good thing really.

I am happy with them, and I wont be wanting to upgrade them to phones which cost silly amounts like a lot of you do
tongue.gif
I more powerful amp and speakers will suit me more
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help on the amp front appreciated though

Feb 4, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 14
I just got the Philips 890 and really liked the sound of them but they were MASSIVE and very uncomfortable on me. I could feel them constantly pulling down the sides of my face and i really wanted to love them but just cant live with that, i never forget im wearing them. Theres also the fact that being so massive they feel kinda like wearing a velvet padded hat around your face which doesnt help. I can actually see these things when im wearing them without even looking to the side! The build quality seems good, the bass is a tad over present but a nice smooth overall presentation otherwise id say. Bit too smooth perhaps.

So anyway, there going back to dixons (no doubt with a fight) and i fancy ordering the technics now. Question is are the 880 which are alot easier for me to get from dabs.com going to have the same problem as the philips since they both have that weight spreading headstrap? Id go for the tec 800 but uk firms all charge £20 extra postage to non-mainland uk and im no mug.

Has anyone got any info or reviews for these technics yet other than the hifi-choice 800 review? Shaun, hows about a nice review of the 800?

Feb 4, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 14
just be careful with the hp890's... they may not look it but they are very fragile. avoid taking the cable out of the headphone too often or it could stop making a connection, and the plastic is known to crack so keep an eye out for cracks (on the part where the L and R are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back