which techflex do you usually use?
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
From this list:
https://www.wirecare.com/wirecarephp...hp?prodline=ES

Which one or some techflex do you guys usually use?
I noticed in the sticky thread some used PET and a few used Teflon (so darn expensive, over $1 per foot!)
What else do you use?
eggosmile.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 19
White PET and Black. I really wanna try the Carbon, but it is ohh so expensive. I was going to make a headphone extension cable with it, but I couldn't see spending just 15 bucks on techflex for that cable. Maybe when I recable my HF-1 or the now only imagined PSR-60. Or maybe chrome covering for the PSR-60? yes i think sooo

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 19
carbon? you mean the carbon color PET? isn't that the same price of other colors?
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
carbon? you mean the carbon color PET? isn't that the same price of other colors?
confused.gif

There is normal carbon color that is the same price as all the other colors, but there is also the "Reflex" model down at the bottom of the page that reflects all on-axis light. It is supposed to have a carbon fiber look and it costs 1.85 a foot for 1/4"

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
There is normal carbon color that is the same price as all the other colors, but there is also the "Reflex" model down at the bottom of the page that reflects all on-axis light. It is supposed to have a carbon fiber look and it costs 1.85 a foot for 1/4"

thank you for clarification!

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 19
Oct 24, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=768

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=796

are these Reflex Carbon or Teflon or Nylon?

Lol since both of those are mine I think I should anwser that.
smily_headphones1.gif

The first one is regular Carbon, but its a single layer and what you see shinning though is the shielding I use on preaty much all of my cables.

The second one is Nylon Monofilament. It is very much like PET sleeving, but a much more protective sleeving. I made that for a friend who has a dog who likes to chew on things.

No cables have Teflon as sleeving. Teflon is used only on wires or atleast mostly on wires not as a sleeving.

Please feel free to just PM me instead if you have questions since I might not see your post.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Lol since both of those are mine I think I should anwser that.
smily_headphones1.gif

The first one is regular Carbon, but its a single layer and what you see shinning though is the shielding I use on preaty much all of my cables.

The second one is Nylon Monofilament. It is very much like PET sleeving, but a much more protective sleeving. I made that for a friend who has a dog who likes to chew on things.

No cables have Teflon as sleeving. Teflon is used only on wires or atleast mostly on wires not as a sleeving.

Please feel free to just PM me instead if you have questions since I might not see your post.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Thanks Alex, I'll keep asking you.
etysmile.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 19
Hey Alex, what kind of shielding do you use in your cables? Could you possibly link me to it?

Oct 24, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 19
More question coming!!!!
eek.gif

I know these are so many questions
tongue.gif

Please forgive me as a cable newbie.
tongue.gif

Thanks a loooooot!

1. I ordered 3 models of bulk cable from markertek:
Mogami Neglex Quad Mic Cable, Canare Star-Quad Microphone Cable, Belden 1192A Star Quad Audio Cable. Do you think it's enough to get me started? What else cable/cable vendor do you usually choose? Where do you guys get silver platted copper cable or pure silver cable from?

2. I also order a number of connectors from Partsexpress, markertek seems doesn't have alot of connectors choices. What else connector vendor do you usually choose?

3. I thought those Mogami, Canare, Belden cable should have electric shield inside. So the sleeving is mainly for cosmetic, temperature and abrasion protection, and not for electric shielding, right?

4. Wirecare.com only has 3/8 and 3/4 in 3:1 shrink tube. where 3/8 is too small to fit on RCA connectors, 3/4 is too big after shrink to fit on those Mogami cables, what's your choice of shrink tubing?
[size=xx-small]
Big FAT thanks to all you guys! [/size]
eggosmile.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
Hey Alex, what kind of shielding do you use in your cables? Could you possibly link me to it?

I get it here locally. I ordered online a few times and it came in too messed up to be able to use so I only get it locally now. Not to mention it was regular foil or copper shielding. I ended up finding silver plated copper shielding.

-Alex-

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

More question coming!!!!
eek.gif

I know these are so many questions
tongue.gif

Please forgive me as a cable newbie.
tongue.gif

Thanks a loooooot!

1. I ordered 3 models of bulk cable from markertek:
Mogami Neglex Quad Mic Cable, Canare Star-Quad Microphone Cable, Belden 1192A Star Quad Audio Cable. Do you think it's enough to get me started? What else cable/cable vendor do you usually choose? Where do you guys get silver platted copper cable or pure silver cable from?

2. I also order a number of connectors from Partsexpress, markertek seems doesn't have alot of connectors choices. What else connector vendor do you usually choose?

3. I thought those Mogami, Canare, Belden cable should have electric shield inside. So the sleeving is mainly for cosmetic, temperature and abrasion protection, and not for electric shielding, right?

4. Wirecare.com only has 3/8 and 3/4 in 3:1 shrink tube. where 3/8 is too small to fit on RCA connectors, 3/4 is too big after shrink to fit on those Mogami cables, what's your choice of shrink tubing?
[size=xx-small]
Big FAT thanks to all you guys! [/size]
eggosmile.gif

I use 3/8 heat shrink, it JUST BARELY squeezes on to some RCA connectors, it can be quite difficult and on a couple I have tired it won't go on very far.

YOu can buy all the 22 awg silver plated teflon you want on ebay. That is all I have used so far, but I have some Canare Starquad on the way from markertek. All of the premade bulk cable should have shielding I think. I order my connectors from partsexpress as well, they seem to have the best selection and awesome shipping. Markertek has good shipping too, but I had trouble finding the right connections.

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I use 3/8 heat shrink, it JUST BARELY squeezes on to some RCA connectors, it can be quite difficult and on a couple I have tired it won't go on very far.

YOu can buy all the 22 awg silver plated teflon you want on ebay. That is all I have used so far, but I have some Canare Starquad on the way from markertek. All of the premade bulk cable should have shielding I think. I order my connectors from partsexpress as well, they seem to have the best selection and awesome shipping. Markertek has good shipping too, but I had trouble finding the right connections.

Thanks, Steve!
any recommended ebay seller for cable?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back