Which suond card for possible upgrade
Mar 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

htsource

New Head-Fier
I just got myself a pair of HD 650's, been using a set of 590's. Currently I'm driving the 650's with Creative X-Fi Platinum with that big breakout console box. Sound is not too bad right out. I don't have my Rega Ear amp at this point, so I can't confirm how much the 650's sound with external amp.

Would it be a good upgrade consideration say if I was to upgrade to Prelude 7.1 sound card? I also have a 2496 M-Audio, would it be a good candidate. I though the M-Audio cards are quite good, but they don't get mentioned a lot. How about RME?

Thanks for your advise.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Well try this before spending money, go into your X-Fi settings and find out if the playback is at 44.1 rather than the default 48hz.

If at 48 switch it over to 44.1 when listening to music.

48 for videogames and DVD-A or DVD.

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by htsource /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, found out the SBLive I have is actually the X-Fi Elite Pro, not the Platinum. So I guess it's the older model. Don't know if it converts everything to 48kHz?

SB Live and X-Fi are distinctively different sound cards and there is roughly 10 years between them. Which one do you own actually? Your post is sort of confusing...

I think LIVE resampled audio at 48kHz and you could not do anything about it, resampling wasn't great.

If you have X-Fi go into Music Creation mode and you will see the sampling rate setting there. Pick 44.1. This might make a difference but only with sources that are at 44.1 KHz. To be honest I am skeptical if that makes a difference, because resampling with X-Fi is barely audible.

Get a tube amp if you want this to sound more musical. Will make hell lot more sense then swapping sound cards.

(Or you can always turn the Crystallizer on, slightly, no need to tell anyone you know but it actually works nicely with some music
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back