Which Summit-Fi Headphone For Me?
Aug 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #31 of 178
why are you bothering him with so much options, he said that he liked the HD650, there's a good chance he'd fall in love with the Audeze LCD-2\3. You've experienced a lot of headphones, picking should be easy for you, am I right ?! besides, if you're sensitive to bright ( over-emphasized treble ) headphones, then the LCD-2\3 it is. It's a no-brainer.

I think you should check out these links

Audeze LCD-2: $995 Planar magnetic headphone, one of the world’s best!

The Spectacularly Yummy Audeze LCD-2 LCD-3 Headphones Reviewed  by innerfidelity

You're mostly right....I did come into this with strong leanings toward Audeze....but on the other hand, if I didn't want more options, I'd have just bought one and not asked for the wisdom of my fellow addicts :wink: Some of the options are off the wall (I'm intrigued by RS1 for example, though I agree with LCFiner, they're probably not the same kind of "technical jump at high diminishing returns" I was looking to treat myself with. The Koss recommendation was a very good one however.

My only regret was forgeting to tag the original post with "Not SR007/009." :p Some of these summit threads rapidly become prods to buy into $4k+ Stax systems :) I never hear a bad word about them from those that buy them.....on the other hand anyone dumping that kind of crazy money REALLY knew they wantted them befre they bought them. So I wouldn't expect much dislike of them.

I do appreciate the encouragement back to Audeze though from you and paradox...I was starting to wonder if they were going the way of Grado: Loved by their customers, forgotten by everyone else :D

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #32 of 178
Quote:
Hey since you're a fellow Lyr addict, and are the one that got me hooked on those Mullards (though for now I'm still enjoying muy Tungsrams...) you're probably a good opinion to get. I hadn't realized you owned a lot of the cans I'm looking at, or formerly owned some of them
So you own LCD-2 but seem to like LCD-3 significantly more. Lyr is my main amp and the center of my tube collection, unless I eventually upgrade to the Schiit statement gear. Whatever that may be. HE-6, assuming you've tried it with Lyr, I assume that means it's a no-go with Lyr for you as well? I have plenty of receivers around but none that I hope to use with the headphone rig. Too bulky. Too hot! Granted, the Schiit statement, I'm guessing, will have binding posts or banana plugs. Just a guess though. But I may or may not get it...Lyr's excellent on its own.
I'm still getting mixed feelings elsewhere about HE-6. But when well driven on better than Lyr, you still feel it bests LCD-3?

Yep, I've owned 'em all. I've previously owned the HE-6 with Lyr and it provides enough power to sound good. Everyone who nay-says it, only does so because
speaker taps are vastly better. I just got in my HE-6 again tonight. Still feel the same way, It's got the power, sounds loud, but is edgy and lacking bass slam as well as details, soundstage.
It's a bit harsh and smeared. I am planning on driving them from the W4S dual mono blocks.
There are tons of different options to supply the gobs of power they need.

I also plan on forgoing Mjolnir for statement (we'll see how weak my will power is when faced with Mjolnir), but It's going to be a headphone amp. It'll have the bells and whistles of balanced in/out and SE
as well as pre amp functions ( I can only assume) 

As far as a properly driven HE-6, it's the best headphone I've ever heard. Compared to other orthos and stax. It'll depend on what kind of presentation you like as well as preferred genres of music. But I personally feel the HE-6 loses the edginess, and really opens up in soundstage. The bass is just as if not more impactful and extended as the Audeze x.
While being bright it's not harsh, just very detailed. One of the only knocks is I wish it had some mids such as the LCD-3, and obviously didn't require such commitment amplification wise.

I'd just ask are you ready for an HE-6 with the gear requirements/commitments? 

Oh, as far as LCD-2 v LCD-3. I love and prefer LCD-3, however I don't feel it's worth the x2 price tag.
With that said, if ya got the money go with the LCD-3. If not, you won't miss much comparatively.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #33 of 178
Yep, I've owned 'em all. I've previously owned the HE-6 with Lyr and it provides enough power to sound good. Everyone who nay-says it, only does so because
speaker taps are vastly better. I just got in my HE-6 again tonight. Still feel the same way, It's got the power, sounds loud, but is edgy and lacking bass slam as well as details, soundstage.
It's a bit harsh and smeared. I am planning on driving them from the W4S dual mono blocks.

I also plan on forgoing Mjolnir for statement (we'll see how weak my will power is when faced with Mjolnir), but It's going to be a headphone amp. It'll have the bells and whistles of balanced in/out and SE

As far as a properly driven HE-6, it's the best headphone I've ever heard. Compared to other orthos and stax. It'll depend on what kind of presentation you like as well as preferred genres of music. But I personally feel the HE-6 loses the edginess, and really opens up in soundstage. The bass is just as if not more impactful and extended as the Audeze x.
While being bright it's not harsh, just very detailed. One of the only knocks is I wish it had some mids such as the LCD-3, and obviously didn't require such commitment amplification wise.

Oh, as far as LCD-2 v LCD-3. I love and prefer LCD-3, however I don't feel it's worth the x2 price tag.
With that said, if ya got the money go with the LCD-3. If not, you won't miss much comparatively.

That kind of answers the HD-6 queston well enough. If you're powering it with Lyr, there's no real point to it...speaker amp or bust? If that's the case, I don't think it's for me....it presents the same sort of problm that stats present for me: It's not usable in my relaively carefully groomed headphone setup. I have amps around, but I have no intention of setting them up at my couch-side headphone rig where I do all my listening, and I could run long cables to the "B" channel off my AVR, which would work, bu it's so darned inconvenient it ruins the point of my headphone rig. Maybe someday I'll think "I should have bough those", but otherwise I can't see getting into it. And then there's the risks of blowing them as well.....so I think that answers what I needed

LCD-3 vs LCD2. For $2k, what would you personally feel happiest with.... TWO LCD-2's (I have two Lyr rigs), one LCD-3, Or LCD-2 plus some other high end can.. (would have to be high nd...I have more than enough excellent cans around...this is for experimenting with the best of the best.

One big thing that scares me bout a $2k can is if it fails....and Audeze's record isn't as stellar as, say, Senn, that's a pricy piece of gear to be down. Though the Zebrawood should be roughly as durable as bamboo I'd think...it's a very hard hardwood....unlike "rosewood" which can be virtually anything....but they've had driver issues in the past.....

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 178
Within your $2k limit, you could probably *just* buy the ESP/950, RS-1, and LCD-2 all at once (or whatever other 2-3 summit/high-end options you like) and then keep whichever you like (or all). Just a random thought I had; it would let you experience more, and make a more informed choice on your own terms. It is, however, very gluttonous and impractical. Then again, there was that guy in Summit-Fi who went through The Cable Co, and ordered every top-end headphone currently in production as trials (you pay a deposit) and only kept the one(s) he liked; posted a thread about it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617382/comparing-the-best-of-the-best

Would at least be fun for a few yucks. :p

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #35 of 178
Quote:
That kind of answers the HD-6 queston well enough. If you're powering it with Lyr, there's no real point to it...speaker amp or bust? If that's the case, I don't think it's for me....it presents the same sort of problm that stats present for me: It's not usable in my relaively carefully groomed headphone setup. I have amps around, but I have no intention of setting them up at my couch-side headphone rig where I do all my listening, and I could run long cables to the "B" channel off my AVR, which would work, bu it's so darned inconvenient it ruins the point of my headphone rig. Maybe someday I'll think "I should have bough those", but otherwise I can't see getting into it. And then there's the risks of blowing them as well.....so I think that answers what I needed
LCD-3 vs LCD2. For $2k, what would you personally feel happiest with.... TWO LCD-2's (I have two Lyr rigs), one LCD-3, Or LCD-2 plus some other high end can.. (would have to be high nd...I have more than enough excellent cans around...this is for experimenting with the best of the best.
One big thing that scares me bout a $2k can is if it fails....and Audeze's record isn't as stellar as, say, Senn, that's a pricy piece of gear to be down. Though the Zebrawood should be roughly as durable as bamboo I'd think...it's a very hard hardwood....unlike "rosewood" which can be virtually anything....but they've had driver issues in the past.....

Yea, that should settle it for you with the HE-6. Though, to tempt ya maybe, you can get some some cheap dual mono blocks or even look at the T-amps.

If ya got the cash the LCD-3, I owned 2 LCD-2's and an LCD-3, really pointless, but my situation was "unique" or w.e. haha
I feel the LCD-3 offers the refinements and improved downfalls of the LCD-2. So I'd go with that.

Depending how you feel about bright cans, I might recommend the LCD-2 with HD800. Maybe LCD-2 and T1. This would be low on the list because
I feel the LCD-3 is better/preferred to HD800 and it could topple the budget.

The Audeze line all have 3 year warranty. 

As far as I can tell they've fixed the veiled issues, the new housing should prevent cracking, and driver failures are low and promptly replaced.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 178
Within your $2k limit, you could probably *just* buy the ESP/950, RS-1, and LCD-2 all at once (or whatever other 2-3 summit/high-end options you like) and then keep whichever you like (or all). Just a random thought I had; it would let you experience more, and make a more informed choice on your own terms. It is, however, very gluttonous and impractical. Then again, there was that guy in Summit-Fi who went through The Cable Co, and ordered every top-end headphone currently in production as trials (you pay a deposit) and only kept the one(s) he liked; posted a thread about it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617382/comparing-the-best-of-the-best
Would at least be fun for a few yucks. :p

I have to admit the options are looking more like
LCD-3
LCD-2 + Koss (maybe ..haven't ruled it out
LCD-2 + T1 (pricy...not sure
LCD-2 + HD800 (pricy, not sure
LCD-2 + RS1...weird...RS1 doesn't seem very summit-fi....you've intrigued me, but I don't need more great but not supreme cans...I have half the collection already!

Buying all three....you're right for the LCD-2 + HD800 it would be the same price....but I'm not a fan of buy & return...it's not fair to dealers, or the ones it's fair to, restock fees kill... :p

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #38 of 178
I have owned almost all the headphones you are thinking about, except the rs1 and koss but I've demo'ed.  I am also going through the same dilemma narrowing my headphones for a speaker set up.

I decided to go w/ an lcd3 and eventually work up to a schiit mjolnir/meier corda classic or a decware taboo (if you prefer tubes).  My second vote would be the lyr w/ lcd2 +/- hd800 depending on if you like large band orchestral or jazz pieces.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #39 of 178
Quote:

A few questions for you as I'm evaluating the setup.  What would you consider is the minimum requirement for GOOD enough speaker tap amplification of HE-6? I mean...XXX is to HE-6 as LYR is to LCD-2, for example? :)

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #40 of 178
Quote:

A few questions for you as I'm evaluating the setup.  What would you consider is the minimum requirement for GOOD enough speaker tap amplification of HE-6? I mean...XXX is to HE-6 as LYR is to LCD-2, for example? :)

Already answered in PM.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #41 of 178
Finally made my decision: HE-6 + a integrated speaker amp, and then look to upgrading that amp in the future if needed. I'd gone back and forth to and from HE-6 for a while, I hated to get another HFM with terrible ergonomics and not get something prettier, snazzier, more comfortable to set it apart from my normal cans, but I think HE-6 is what I was looking for. 

Thanks to everyone both in this thread and in PM for your help and ideas, and confusing me with some additional cans I never thought of!   Obobskivich, paradoxper, ardilla purrin, magick man....and Drew from Moon, thanks all for your excellent help and ideas!

My Summit-Fi rig is now under way!  Lyr + HD650, HE-400 will still be my primary rig, and K702 & D5k auxiliary.   The HE-6 will be for a special treat.  I wouldn't want to wear out the specialness of the high end!  But it seems like a wonderfully scalable solution, and though it hasn't arrived yet, I'm now officially am in the land of diminishing returns :p

The best part about the summit shopping experience?  I found more people in the Summit-Fi world who don't believe in the "HD650 is mid-fi" myth than I do on the regular headphone forums.   So THIS is where all the veteran head-fier's with a clue moved!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 178
Quote:
Finally made my decision: HE-6 + a integrated speaker amp, and then look to upgrading that amp in the future if needed. I'd gone back and forth to and from HE-6 for a while, I hated to get another HFM with terrible ergonomics and not get something prettier, snazzier, more comfortable to set it apart from my normal cans, but I think HE-6 is what I was looking for. 

Thanks to everyone both in this thread and in PM for your help and ideas, and confusing me with some additional cans I never thought of!   Obobskivich, paradoxper, ardilla purrin, magick man....and Drew from Moon, thanks all for your excellent help and ideas!

My Summit-Fi rig is now under way!  Lyr + HD650, HE-400 will still be my primary rig, and K702 & D5k auxiliary.   The HE-6 will be for a special treat.  I wouldn't want to wear out the specialness of the high end!  But it seems like a wonderfully scalable solution, and though it hasn't arrived yet, I'm now officially am in the land of diminishing returns :p

The best part about the summit shopping experience?  I found more people in the Summit-Fi world who don't believe in the "HD650 is mid-fi" myth than I do on the regular headphone forums.   So THIS is where all the veteran head-fier's with a clue moved!
biggrin.gif

that's a nice combo, i'm listening to that sometimes too. for me the he-6 is a headphone that often sits in it's box, i don't use it much for everyday small time listening while working etc. i put in on when i want to concentrate on what i'm listening to. it has quite a direct presentation, not as casual/laid back as e.g. dh650, which is more suitable to background listening i think,.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #43 of 178
Quote:

that's a nice combo, i'm listening to that sometimes too. for me the he-6 is a headphone that often sits in it's box, i don't use it much for everyday small time listening while working etc. i put in on when i want to concentrate on what i'm listening to. it has quite a direct presentation, not as casual/laid back as e.g. dh650, which is more suitable to background listening i think,.

Yeah, that's exactly how I want to use it as well!  I rarely listen to any of my cans as background, it's pretty much always for real listening...but the HE-6 is for that "I want to fell like it's live or better than life" special treat on special albums or when I just want to treat myself to some amazing audio.  Lyr + HD650 and HE-400 (both are very good on Lyr and both very different)  is an excellent normal listening setup with some good tubes.  Even for critical listening I plan on those remaning my main cans.  HE-6 is for something over-the top, in moderation
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #45 of 178
Get a used HE-6 and Trends TA-10.2SE if you want to keep it around $1k.  If you're looking closer to $2k, go for an HE-6 and Aleph 3 or 30 (good condition ones go for about $900-1200) if you can control volume through a good quality preamp or DAC volume control.  The Trends has built-in volume control, so DAC -> Trends -> HE-6 is a great compact desktop rig.  The Aleph will give better dynamics, detail resolution, bass slam, and transparency.  If you listen to a lot of classical and jazz as you mentioned earlier, I'd recommend the Aleph.  Don't get the LCD-3 without demoing it first.  A lot of people here think it's the bees knees, but a lot of people whose ears I generally trust were less than impressed with the LCD-3.  The LCD-3 did not impress me at all.

Another option which a lot of people have said is to go straight to stats.  You can get great classical and jazz without breaking the bank but I'm leery about bass-heavy electronica without confirming that you have a good headphone and amp pairing.  The SR007 is a great do-it-all headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back