Which sub-$250 IEMs for me?
Apr 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 27
the RP-HJE900 my be worth a look if your into a more neutral sound i have a review in my sig they go for around $220 max in the US cheaper over seas and they have replaceable cables with near a indestructible build

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 27
I'd go with the Turbines, $100 online. I'm having to replace one of my two pair due to a cable issue (nothing major, just a cable lining issue at the Y-connector). Still, very balanced with nice bass, should be a good match for your musical tastes.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Friends! The poster has asked us not to talk about the cost and where to purchase! Let's talk recommendations instead!

Yes. Anyone wanting new IE8s for $275 just needs to PM me for the link.

Between the Atrio and the Turbines, the Atrios have more midrange and the bass extends a bit deeper.

The Turbines are more "fun" to listen to as they seem to have their "internal EQ" on the Rock setting. Bass is bumped up a little, midrange is knocked down a little and treble is bumped up a little.

Atrios have a flatter, more accurate sound while still pumping out a lot of bass. Vocals are more in the foreground on the Atrios.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to a whole lot of rock- Metal, progressive, and classic mostly. A whole lot of electronica/psybient/ambient/dub as well. A little bit of rap on top of that. But I really thrive on instrumental rock- I love the sound of a guitar! For this reason, I like my current Head-Direct RE2's. They have a lot of treble that sounds fairly well-defined and sharp when it needs to be, mellow when it should. But I'm looking for an IEM to improve on my RE2's. I really don't like the headstage on my current 'phones. Please, don't jump to IE7 just because I mention soundstage, because I have decided that these 'phones aren't for me. Anyway, something with good treble, good bass extension (Not a lot of bass quantity, I don't like boosted bass. Extension is good) and smooth mids with better headstage and instrument separation would be perfect.

Have you already heard the IE 7 and decided against them?

I am actually going to recommend the IE7. If you want good treble and mids with good bass extension and sound stage the IE 7s will deliver.

Quote:

I have been looking around, and I even had an earlier thread on this and a couple people suggested Turbines before it turned into a PFE vs IE8 flame war
popcorn.gif
. Any suggestions? First-hand impressions and specific descriptions of sound sig are huge bonuses for me. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm also interested in Head-Direct RE0. By the way, please no "If you stretch your budget..." recommendations. Sub-$250. Really.

The Turbines too me are too bassy and don't have the best treble or midrange response. The imaging is off too it is almost like what should be on the bottom of the stage was moved up and behind the singer.

I have never heard the RE2 so can't help with any comparisons.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 27
Well, you can also try the ever reliable UE sf5pro. It is well within your budget.

Though some may be turn off by the huge size, if you do not mind that, I would seriously recomend those
bigsmile_face.gif

They are still rocking fine music for me
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #22 of 27
OK, I really like treble, mids are second, bass is last. So at this point, RE0 sounds best for me, and the IE7 is getting good words too. The RE0 has clear, high-extending treble with great decay and fast response, with clear but somewhat recessed mids and OK bass (which is just fine for me, if I feel it's lacking like with my RE2 I'll just throw in my E3). More IE7+rock impressions would be appreciated.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

OK, I really like treble, mids are second, bass is last. So at this point, RE0 sounds best for me, and the IE7 is getting good words too. The RE0 has clear, high-extending treble with great decay and fast response, with clear but somewhat recessed mids and OK bass (which is just fine for me, if I feel it's lacking like with my RE2 I'll just throw in my E3). More IE7+rock impressions would be appreciated.

If that is what you want Phonak PFE with the Grey filters are great. It is the fastest decaying IEM I have heard. Pretty good treble response.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

More IE7+rock impressions would be appreciated.

That's mainly what I listen to...so all my impressions and my thoughts are very valid here. But Oarnura is right, if what you want is treble first, bass last, then the PFE with grey filters are the best choice. For me its treble first, bass, and then mids, so that's why I went with the IE7s.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the Ultimate Ears 700 were just announced... need reviews to come in, but they are priced within your budget.

Ooh, I plan to pick up a pair of these too. They look cute
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 27
so what dont you people like about the ie7? koven is selling his. ling ling you say it's not for you even though people recommend it for your kindof music... why dont you guys like the ie7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back