Which standalone DAC should I get?
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm venturing into completely new territory. I decided I want to get a standalone DAC to use with my computer and whatever home amp I have at the time and need some help figuring this out. How do I compare standalone DACs, who makes good ones? Pretty much the Headroom Micro DAC is all I have experience with (I don't own it). I've also seen the Fubar II DAC, but I don't know of many others. Let's say $400ish is my range (could go higher if higher is SIGNIFICANTLY better, but lower is ideal. If a really good one could be had for less than $400, so much the better!). What should I be looking for 24/196? Recommendations?

PLEASE READ: The DAC MUST include USB. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm venturing into completely new territory. I decided I want to get a standalone DAC to use with my computer and whatever home amp I have at the time and need some help figuring this out. How do I compare standalone DACs, who makes good ones? Pretty much the Headroom Micro DAC is all I have experience with (I don't own it). I've also seen the Fubar II DAC, but I don't know of many others. Let's say $400ish is my range (could go higher if higher is SIGNIFICANTLY better, but lower is ideal. If a really good one could be had for less than $400, so much the better!). What should I be looking for 24/196? Recommendations?

I really liked the HR Micro DAC. Honestly, next to my Benchmark DAC1 Pre, it has been the most impressive product that I have used. I experienced my greatest sonic gains by upgrading to the HR from a DAC/Amp combo from another manufacturer. That said, I have not had the opportunity to listen to several different DACs in one sitting. My best advice for you (if at all possible) is to try and make it to a meet near you. This will allow you to sample some gear and get an idea of the sound you would like.

One product that is out of your range but worth checking out is the Stello DA100. If I had not chosen the DAC1 for practical reasons, I may have tried to get the Stello. Everything I have read or heard from others suggests that it is a very good product.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the advice, I really like the HR Micro DAC, except... The thing that really bothers me about it though is that it doesn't have RCA outs. Actually, that's almost a deal-breaker for me. The Stello is just more than I'm willing to spend at this point.

By the way, has anyone heard of the KingRex UD-01 USB DAC?
Audiomagus - high end not high priced audio products

Or

the Super Pro DAC707SE with USB?
DAC707 Super Pro USB

I know they aren't that expensive, but does anyone know if the chips/specs are any good compared to others in my price range?

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 18
There is a thread around here that lists many of the DACs available at the moment, as well as their prices. Might be worth starting your research there. It should give you a good starting point for finding DACs in your price range.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all...an-buy-197674/

There's plenty of useful info around here on specific DACs once you've narrowed down your needs. Think about the sort of music you like, what sources you want to use it with (USB/Optical/Coax/IS2), whether you want a musical or analytical bias, whether you want tubes or solid state, NOS or oversampling, etc.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 18
I'm gonna' go ahead and plug the Channel Islands VDA-2 at 599 USD. I can't really compare it to anything else as it is the only DAC I have owned, so far. Though, I do like it's versatility with it's 2 RCA output which can be used as balanced outputs should you decide to go that route. Also, the on-the-fly switchable dual input comes in handy when comparing different sources. It also has the phase switch (which, admittedly, I have not played with, as of yet). Anyway, it has reviewed well against the venerable Benchmark DAC-1.

Google some reviews for the thing and give it a shot. There's also a few folks around this forum who like it. Overall, it seems pretty versatile. Also, you can upgrade it with the Channel Islands made power supply.

I'm happy with mine and am about to upgrade the power supply after almost a year of ownership.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 18
please check the Zero DAC - there is a reason that thread is 500+ pages long
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna' go ahead and plug the Channel Islands VDA-2 at 599 USD. I can't really compare it to anything else as it is the only DAC I have owned, so far. Though, I do like it's versatility with it's 2 RCA output which can be used as balanced outputs should you decide to go that route. Also, the on-the-fly switchable dual input comes in handy when comparing different sources. It also has the phase switch (which, admittedly, I have not played with, as of yet). Anyway, it has reviewed well against the venerable Benchmark DAC-1.

Google some reviews for the thing and give it a shot. There's also a few folks around this forum who like it. Overall, it seems pretty versatile. Also, you can upgrade it with the Channel Islands made power supply.

I'm happy with mine and am about to upgrade the power supply after almost a year of ownership.

Unfortunately, the Channel Islands VDA-2 is a no-go, as a USB input is a prerequisite. It looks like a good DAC though.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please check the Zero DAC - there is a reason that thread is 500+ pages long
smily_headphones1.gif

The Zero DAC is a headphone amp too, isn't it? I'm not interested in a joined amp unit, unless I was willing to spend more for the Headroom Desktop Amp Max with Max DAC, but only if I'm willing to go to $1600 (which, right now, I'm not).

Unfortunately, the option is dead on arrival, because it isn't USB.

I really like the HR Ultra DAC, actually, but I'm vexed by that minijack output... Oh well, the search continues.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Unfortunately, the Channel Islands VDA-2 is a no-go, as a USB input is a prerequisite.

If you do find a good USB DAC with pace, rhythm and timing, let me know. The ones I tried were all a very big disappointment. The dynamic range of all the popular USB to SPDIF or I2S chips are less than the dynamic range of the CD audio format. I also struggled to get clean and clear bass delivery or audible decay in the notes of music that sounded just fine when played via the optical output from the same PC going to a non-USB DAC.

I haven't heard the DAC1 with USB yet, but maybe that one might be worth trying. I heard that they give you a month to make your mind up.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do find a good USB DAC with pace, rhythm and timing, let me know. The ones I tried were all a very big disappointment. The dynamic range of all the popular USB to SPDIF or I2S chips are less than the dynamic range of the CD audio format. I also struggled to get clean and clear bass delivery or audible decay in the notes of music that sounded just fine when played via the optical output from the same PC going to a non-USB DAC.

From what I've read, the Headroom Micro DAC and particularly, in your case, the Ultra DAC may be what you are looking for in a high quality USB DAC. Maybe I have to take the plunge and save up for the Ultra DAC. That means I have to use that dreaded 1/8" mini jack to RCA cable, unless I get a Headroom Micro AMP... This keeps adding up.

I didn't want to spend nearly this much right now, but frankly, the Headroom Desktop amp with Maxed upgrade module and Maxed DAC option seems pretty awesome to me (for $1600). Back in the real world, I wanted to pair a nice USB DAC with the Little Dot MK V amp. If I go Headroom, I'll have to find a audiophile quality mini jack to RCA cable. It's an option.

The DAC1 USB is really nice, but I'm not willing to spend $1275 on just a DAC when I can get the above Headroom Desktop w/ DAC for $1600.

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

From what I've read, the Headroom Micro DAC and particularly, in your case, the Ultra DAC may be what you are looking for in a high quality USB DAC. Maybe I have to take the plunge and save up for the Ultra DAC. That means I have to use that dreaded 1/8" mini jack to RCA cable, unless I get a Headroom Micro AMP... This keeps adding up.

I didn't want to spend nearly this much right now, but frankly, the Headroom Desktop amp with Maxed upgrade module and Maxed DAC option seems pretty awesome to me (for $1600). Back in the real world, I wanted to pair a nice USB DAC with the Little Dot MK V amp. If I go Headroom, I'll have to find a audiophile quality mini jack to RCA cable. It's an option.

The DAC1 USB is really nice, but I'm not willing to spend $1275 on just a DAC when I can get the above Headroom Desktop w/ DAC for $1600.

I have to agree that the Headroom is a nice piece of kit. I listened to the desktop amp and was very pleased. However, I have to correct you about the DAC1. It's not just a DAC, but a headphone amp as well. What's more, if you get the DAC1 Pre, you get a quality preamplifier as well. I wanted a HR amp, but ultimately decided on the DAC1 Pre because the HR did not have any preamp capabilities (in the balanced flavor, at least). In addition, if you believe HR, you need the beefy power supply to get the most out of a HR Desktop with the Max modules.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that the Headroom is a nice piece of kit. I listened to the desktop amp and was very pleased. However, I have to correct you about the DAC1. It's not just a DAC, but a headphone amp as well. What's more, if you get the DAC1 Pre, you get a quality preamplifier as well. I wanted a HR amp, but ultimately decided on the DAC1 Pre because the HR did not have any preamp capabilities (in the balanced flavor, at least). In addition, if you believe HR, you need the beefy power supply to get the most out of a HR Desktop with the Max modules.

Damn you illkemist, you just turned a simple $400 DAC request into a full-blown $1500 problem. I really like the DAC1 Pre... THANKS A LOT...
mad.gif

Alright, let me switch gears and ask this. Maybe I'll go for an all-in-one unit, it seems like I'll just spend the money in separates anyway. Let me ask everyone this, I'm trying to choose between the DAC1 Pre and the Headroom Desktop amp/DAC with the max'ed options. Does anyone have a feeling for the quality of the one vs. the other?

illkemist, I know what you said, I have to spend more to buy the HR power supply, but if I get the DAC1 Pre, I'll have to spend more to get balanced cable for my HD650... There's really no winning here. The balanced cable equals the power supply... Truthfully, I just wish the DAC1 usb had an RCA out so I could route it to my main stereo. I'd hate to spend $300+ more just for an RCA (if I decided to forgo balanced cables, which I could live without). The DAC1 usb is almost perfect...

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Damn you illkemist, you just turned a simple $400 DAC request into a full-blown $1500 problem. I really like the DAC1 Pre... THANKS A LOT...
mad.gif

Alright, let me switch gears and ask this. Maybe I'll go for an all-in-one unit, it seems like I'll just spend the money in separates anyway. Let me ask everyone this, I'm trying to choose between the DAC1 Pre and the Headroom Desktop amp/DAC with the max'ed options. Does anyone have a feeling for the quality of the one vs. the other?

illkemist, I know what you said, I have to spend more to buy the HR power supply, but if I get the DAC1 Pre, I'll have to spend more to get balanced cable for my HD650... There's really no winning here. The balanced cable equals the power supply... Truthfully, I just wish the DAC1 usb had an RCA out so I could route it to my main stereo. I'd hate to spend $300+ more just for an RCA (if I decided to forgo balanced cables, which I could live without). The DAC1 usb is almost perfect...

I'm very sorry. Really I am. I often get upset when people recommend products above and beyond what was originally suggested. You should not spend more than you planned unless your needs have changed. I only recommended the DAC1 because Benchmark does have a 30-day guarantee.

Personally, I think separates is the way to go, but I have special needs. I am moving to Asia soon, and I needed one piece of gear to do everything and do it well. Having said that, I still have the option of feeding an external amp or integrated receiver, so the flexibility is still there. But if you like to tweak and play with your equipment to achieve different textures in your playback, maybe separates are a better idea. Of course, that rules out both the DAC1 and the HR MAX MAX.

As far as quality goes, I can vouch that both are well built, but the HR feels more like a tank compared to the DAC1. It's just so solid and rigid. However, the DAC1 was built to be accessible so that you cna fiddle with the jumpers inside as needed.

As far as the cable goes, I have to leave that question to someone else. I have only purchased the HR balanced cable @ $99. Personally, I am not really interested in spending a lot of money on cables. I'm not looking to squeeze the last bit of detail out of my music, so I can do without the really expensive cables for now.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 18
The Keces DA-151 (standalone USB) sounds amazing for the price as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back