Which SS amp for Grado HP2 and Edition9? Rudistor? RSA? Other?
Sep 1, 2008 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

iozz

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own (and think I'll keep for a long time) a pair of Grado HP2, Ultrasone Edition9 and Alessandro MS-Pro.
I'd like to find a very good SS amp that has a great synergy with all of these headphones, and I'm currently heading to RSA (which I know well as I have owned (or still own) a hornet, a predator, a XP-7 and a HR-2) with the Apache or Rudistor, because Rudistor's amps are said to be great with the E9 and it's a european brand (easier if support needed).

I'm pretty sure I'll love the Apache with my cans but I don't know about the Rudistor amps. Does anyone have an experience with the HP2 or MS-Pro paired with a Rudistor RPX-33 (or other)?

If someone has other SS amps in mind, don't hesitate
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Get both headphones recabled balanced and run them out of a balanced dynalo/dynamid/gs-x/etc.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go RudiStor, Graham Slee is lower league IMHO. I auditioned Solo and NX-33, so this is what I think, especially that you're aiming at the higher RudiStor model.

The problem is that I've never managed to find information about Rudistor and Grado synergy, so I really don't know what to expect. And I don't think I'll be able to audition one of Rudi's models before buying...

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 25
The Melos works great with both of them.

I tried the ed9 with my Melos at a meet and own the HP-2s. It perform way above the going price and it has a high end pre amp to boot in case you want to add an amp for a K-1000 or speakers later

*edit* it's got tubes but performs like SS.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know Graham Slee products, thanks for the link.
As far as I've read, the Solo doesn't seem so good with Grado and Ultrasone cans? :/

Well I have an stock RS-1, stock Ultrasone PROline 2500, and an Ultrasone HFI-780 w/ a 7 foot APureSound V3 re-cable and IMO the Beta Novo makes them sing. Perhaps you should read my impression I have posted in Graham's website. In about two weeks I will be sending out a pair of Beta Novo's to a few Head Fiers to review. If you are not in a rush you could wait for their opinions.

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 25
I had used the RPX-33 for close to 6 months, and I own ED9, MS-Pro and PS-1 just no HP2. The RPX-33 didn't match well with PS-1 or MS-Pro, it was too bright to listen, even though it's very detailed but too cold and not engaging. The RPX-33 has no Grado synergy IMO, the solid state I love with Grado was PS Audio GCHA, warmer and more musical in my setup.

Now I have consolidated into one better amp, which is the Zana Deux and I am still very happy with the results so far.

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by macross_frontier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the rudistor rpx-33 won't match well with the grado hp2. You won't feel the magic "super wide soundstage of the phone" from the combo

What supermagic wide soundstage are you talking about on a Grado heapdhone? AFAIK, you will not get any superwide soundstage from any Grado, regardless the amp you use, not even their own amps, or the Melos that is supposed to be a wonderful match for them...That is one very well known and ultradiscussed flaws of Grados here in headfi...for years...Not sure if things has changed now as some others, or if there is any magic amp that will make them sound completelly different....
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own (and think I'll keep for a long time) a pair of Grado HP2, Ultrasone Edition9 and Alessandro MS-Pro.
I'd like to find a very good SS amp that has a great synergy with all of these headphones, and I'm currently heading to RSA (which I know well as I have owned (or still own) a hornet, a predator, a XP-7 and a HR-2) with the Apache or Rudistor, because Rudistor's amps are said to be great with the E9 and it's a european brand (easier if support needed).

I'm pretty sure I'll love the Apache with my cans but I don't know about the Rudistor amps. Does anyone have an experience with the HP2 or MS-Pro paired with a Rudistor RPX-33 (or other)?

If someone has other SS amps in mind, don't hesitate
smily_headphones1.gif

Blutarsky and I have done some mini-meets listening to my 2008 revision Single Power Square Wave XL balanced (fully discrete SS output and is single ended too) vs Melos SHA Gold (tube hybrid), Zana Deux and Woo WA6 maxed with pseudo dual power supply (PDPS on driver tubes with transformer output).

We found my Single Power Square Wave XL balanced amp (running single ended) to be a tie with the Blut's Melos SHA Gold as being the best we have when running Grado HP-1000, PS-1, RS-1 and HD600. They were both also slightly better than his Zana Deux and my Woo WA6 maxed with PDPS (with bugle boy GZ34 rectifier), which were also still very good.

Colorado Springs 8/12/08 Mini-Meet Report! Single Power Square Wave XL vs Melos SHA Gold shootout! Balanced HD600 vs HP-1000 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Colorado Springs 8/19/08 Mini-Meet Report! Woo WA6 maxed vs Single Power and Melos! Also more on Stello DA100 DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

While we haven't listened to the Edition 9 on the Melos or Zana Deux, the Edition 9 are very good with the Single Power Sq Wave XL too. With the WA6, changing to the Sophia Princess rectifier brings the WA6 up to the level of the Single Power with RS-1, Edition 9 and HD600. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mod...ml#post4703017

So, I can safely and without reservation recommend the SP Sq Wave XL or the Woo WA6 maxed with PDPS to you to run with your Grado HP2, Ultrasone Edition9 and Alessandro MS-Pro. Just make sure Jack Wu (Woo) or Mikhail (SP) know you want your order to sound just like HeadphoneAddicts (Larry).

For a less expensive SS Amplifier, the Travagans Red with either OPA627 or AD743 opamps is wonderful with the Edition 9, as is the headphone out of the Apogee mini-DAC. People at the Colorado head-fi meet in July thought so too, as those were the only desktop amps I brought to run the Edition 9. Both are also very good with the Grado RS-1, HP-1000, PS-1, and Denon D2000. See this link for Blutarsky and my review of Apogee mini-DAC and Duet with Grados and Denon: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/co...1-more-346721/

Good luck!

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #15 of 25
HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard of the Square Wave before so I have a new bunch of threads to read
smily_headphones1.gif

You own the XL version which is balanced but use it single ended, in this case is there a sonic difference with the normal version?

I've read that the SW has quite the same sound signature but is not better than the RSA HR-2 that I own though...

Too bad I have no way to test a Rudistor or Graham Slee amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back