Which speaker amplifier should I buy?
Aug 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aegruin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

My 25-30 years old speaker setup's amplifier just died. I'm looking for a new one but I don't know about speakers that much.

I'm looking for a 40-70$ thing. My old amplifier's specs were 2*100 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1 kHz, 10% THD.
I was using it at 20-40% volume. I don't need it to be that loud. I'm open to any suggestions.

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 9
  https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-TP10MK4-TP-MARK4-Tripath-Amplifier/dp/B009WK775U/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1470941591&sr=1-1&keywords=Topping+TP10

Thank you for the answer. They say, this is only 15W @ 4Ohm. Will it be enough? I have two 5 way speakers. They are very big. It's like 12/1 power compared to my old amplifier at 8Ohms. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 9
To others to help you better it would be good to give the model of speakers and said dead amp.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 9
To others to help you better it would be good to give the model of speakers and said dead amp.

I was using Sony RX-99 as the amp that died. Sorry, I don't know about the speakers. They are very old and it's all writings are scrapped off in these years but they're not the stock ones that comes with RX-99.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegruin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the answer. They say, this is only 15W @ 4Ohm. Will it be enough? I have two 5 way speakers. They are very big. It's like 12/1 power compared to an old amplifier at 8Ohms. 

Well your amp makes 100watts at 10% distortion. Chances are you're using only a third of that power unless you happen to like the distortion pattern (and blowing up your eardrums). If anything, the T-Amp is rated at a low output level not just for where distortion is low, but trying to squeeze much more than that out of it will get you to clipping a lot sooner than a large Class A/B amp.

For $70 however you don't really have much of a choice as far as what can be recommended here. The alternative is that we recommend how to find one, but not a specific amp: look in local classifieds for older amplifiers. If you can pick them up then that saves on shipping, so you might go as high as $100 to $120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegruin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was using Sony RX-99 as the amp that died. Sorry, I don't know about the speakers. They are very old and it's all writings are scrapped off in these years but they're not the stock ones that comes with RX-99.

The reason why this is important is because if we can look up the sensitivity of the speakers then we'd have an idea if the T-Amp has enough power. Typically if its sensitivity is at least 90dB then 8watts can be enough for even slightly louder listening levels.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Look for an older AVR specifically that doesn't have HDMI. They generally have a better input/output stage, particularly if they have a Phono stage to drive inefficient things like turntables which means they will have high Ohm input/output stages just to play the silly things properly. People throw them out for under $200 because they don't work with their existing TV, but they work fine and will be a significant upgrade to your existing Sony unit.

Things like my Onkyo TX-SR602.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Thank you for all the answers. 

I just tried my Toshiba RT-SX85 radio as an amplifier to see what will happen. It was really old. I searched the internet and find out that it has 2*5W power output.
Volume were almost enough and the bass were bleeding just a little bit. I mean it responded quite well to a 5W amplifier.

Then, I tried my iDSD Micro directly with just one speaker because it has no balance output. It gives 4W at 16 Ohm. It is a headphone DAC/Amp. It was quite loud but I also heard crackles and pops a lot. It didn't work. 
biggrin.gif

These were the only things I could try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back