Which sounds better to you, a great Stereo or a killer Headphone? (poll)
Dec 30, 2005 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
This would be regardless of price...

Im going to assume most are going to say that theyd prefer a $100K stereo's sound to an Orpheus.
However, IMO opinion-I think a great can provides a better sonic experience for me, hands down.
Why?
Well, no matter how good the soundsytem (and ive heard some unbelievable systems at that) I feel id never be in the "perfect" environment where the sound would leave the speaker and reach my air in a direct line without any outside influences or obstacles. What I mean is, (unless you build a room in your home specifically for sitting in front of your audio sytem) the room that your equipment is ultimatley in will never allow for a flawless listening experience. Carpeting/Wood floors, wall positioning and ceiling height, miscalculating speaker placement and other absorbent or deflecting materials all influence the sound of your stereo.
On the other hand, I feel a great headphone comes inherently with its own perfect listening environment. One direct line from driver to ear-drum. Of course headphone materials and ear pads are going to affect the sound, but thats all a given.
For me-I truly prefer the headphone listening experience; more intimate...and to me, as sonically perfect as my equipment will allow.

Let the arguing and ripping of my limited audiphile knowledge begin!
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 47
I've heard some pretty good setups, and hands down the stereo is a better experience overall.

For example, one stereo was based around Martin Logan Electrostatics, with a sub.

Imaging was amazing, the image was wider than the separation of the speakers, and very deep.
Detail was amazing. And it didn't have to play very loud to resolve them.
You can actually feel the bass, the impact of the kick drums. The dynamics is better than any headphone I've heard.

Of course, the system did cost as much as a good car, but it was pretty close to feeling like you were there. No headphone gives me that feeling, the lack of a real soundstage really kills that illusion fast.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 47
i find a flawed stereo setup more enjoyable than headphones, mostly. its easier to listen casually with speakers as well. headphones are more so planned and intimate.

the end.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 47
headphones for me... Given my living arrangements I dont have a dedicated "listening room". I listen at the computer, on the couch, recliner in the corner, sitting in bed. A really good 2 CH stereo would be a waste on me... I guess if I could theoretically have a dozen of them optimally installed at the 5-6 various places I sit / listen.

I also have a baby and young boy, so loud tunes are out of the question.

Even then... I would still pick an orpheus, PS1, K1000 or stax headphone system. The intimacy of it all is more appealing to me. I was not impressed with guitar tones on the 2-3 way speaker systems I have heard. Headphones do a better job at replicating guitar tones IMHO.

**edit**
Unfortunately I dont think I have never really heard a good, top notch 2CH stereo. I have heard some expensive ones though.... but nothing I would consider to be good.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 47
Comparing price to price I would think headphones definitely win. A $70 pair of speakers could never compete with SR60's.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 47
I'm also into intimacy. Nothing gets me there as well as Sensaphonics do.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 47
Stereo setup , headphones dont allow you feel the bass and fill a room with omnidirectional sound. Headphones are great for personal listening and blocking out the outside world . I would not dedicate a system to headphone use only

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 47
I like being able to sit in a nice chair and listen to some expertly set up speakers.

With the possible exception of the K1000 with sub, it seems that speakers almost always have better imaging and sonic impact. Which are both things I like. That being said, headphones are cheaper for the sound, and being able to move around- even if it is just within a few cubic feet at a desk- without interfering with imaging is convinient.

Right now speakers are waiting for me to get out of college and into a house by myself with an eighty thousand dollar plus job.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 47
Stereo for me. There is nothing quite like it. You can feel the sound pressure hitting you esp the low bass notes and soundstage. Plus, i can move freely in the room without any cables coming from my head, no headphone comfort issues.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 47
Today I was in the MoMa theatre checking out the Pixar 20th anniversary film made just for this exhibit. The sound really sucked you in as they displayed all that amazing imagery. The Orpheus is wonderful, but experiences like that stay with you forever - and it was a speaker system (and 4 projectors) what done it.

PS - the Toy Story Zoetrope (influenced by Miyazaki's Totoro Zoetrope) was amazing - if you guys get a chance, go to this exhibit and run to the 2nd floor to catch both of these.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Today I was in the MoMa theatre checking out the Pixar 20th anniversary film made just for this exhibit. The sound really sucked you in as they displayed all that amazing imagery. The Orpheus is wonderful, but experiences like that stay with you forever - and it was a speaker system (and 4 projectors) what done it.

PS - the Toy Story Zoetrope (influenced by Miyazaki's Totoro Zoetrope) was amazing - if you guys get a chance, go to this exhibit and run to the 2nd floor to catch both of these.

Jahn-actually had plans to hit the Moma on Mon. or Tues.
What kind of movie was this and what was the overall theme of the exhibit?
Think my 4 year old niece would enjoy any of it?
(sorry for getting off the topic people)

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

I've seen the one in Japan and would second this recommendation. It is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back