Which sounds better Dt770 or dt990?
Feb 28, 2006 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Posts
631
Likes
53
Both of these are available at same price.Ive read reviews of both but would like an honest,bottom line answer.Which sounds better with a variety of music that only excludes rap and metal.I will be using a PA2V2 with the phones and a creative zen xtra as source. thanks Matt
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 12

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,565
Likes
15
There are no absolutes. I listen to the DT770 at work (out of a Radii HAP-02), and have been listening to the DT990 at home (out of a Wheatfield HA-02). What are you looking for, detail? DT990. Bass? DT770. Whatcha whatcha whatcha want whatcha want?
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 12

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Posts
631
Likes
53
I want an exciting headphone without the harsh sibilence of grado sr60.I also dont want the dull sound of the sennheiser hd555,my koss ksc75 actually sound better to me than they did.I guess what i want is the koss ksc75 sound in a full size can.(I think Ill start a thread on that) thanks matt
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 12

Jim Barry

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Posts
185
Likes
14
If you want exciting you should definitely give the DT 770 a shot. The bass is extremely robust and the highs are sparkling without ever being harsh. Most other cans sound pretty boring in comparison.
biggrin.gif
Get the 80 ohm version - it's easier to drive and most people seem to think it sounds better than the 250 ohm model. I haven't heard the DT 990 but is supposedly similar sounding but slightly less bassy. If you want the isolation of closed cans then choose the DT 770. If not, consider the open-backed DT 990.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 12

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
I didn't care too much for the DT990 when I heard it. It sounded a lot like my DT770 did before it burned in... boomy and muddy. For $100, it'd be a pretty fun can at a decent price, but I wouldn't pay more than that.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Posts
4,234
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I didn't care too much for the DT990 when I heard it. It sounded a lot like my DT770 did before it burned in... boomy and muddy. For $100, it'd be a pretty fun can at a decent price, but I wouldn't pay more than that.


What were you amping it with? I don't get boomy and muddy at all w/ my DT990's. The DT770's - those I can see as boomy and muddy, but only if a bass boost is engaged, otherwise I'd just call them "bassy"-- but it's a good bass.

I much prefer the DT990 Pro's to the DT770-80.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 12

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
What were you amping it with? I don't get boomy and muddy at all w/ my DT990's. The DT770's - those I can see as boomy and muddy, but only if a bass boost is engaged, otherwise I'd just call them "bassy"-- but it's a good bass.

I much prefer the DT990 Pro's to the DT770-80.



The 990s were pretty old. They were amped... was it the "Original" amp at the NJ Head-Fi meet? I can't recall.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 12

AA8

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Posts
157
Likes
12
Location
West Fargo, ND
I perfer the 990s to the 770s as well. I believe the bass is more clear (though not quite the same amount) and that the cans have a more round sound as a whole w/ the addition of some sound stage.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 12

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Posts
1,789
Likes
1,023
Location
the Netherlands
Quote:

Originally Posted by AA8
I perfer the 990s to the 770s as well. I believe the bass is more clear (though not quite the same amount) and that the cans have a more round sound as a whole w/ the addition of some sound stage.


and taking the dt880 in the equation as well?
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 12

Soundscape

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Posts
263
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
dt 990 + nice amp = very good sound , good boom bass and extreme fun .


what do you consider a 'nice' amp? any nice amps that pair well w/ the dt990 for around $100 or less..like a mint? it looks like AA8 uses his w/ a cmoy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top