Which Sounds Better: Cowon IAudio 7 vs. Ipod =>TurboDock =>IBasso T2
Sep 24, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have an Ipod 5G that i use with a Turbo Dock and an IBasso T2 into my Super.Fi 5 Pros.

Would anyone be able to comment on how this sound quality might compare to an unamped output from the jack of a Cowon IAudio system (specifically the IAudio 7, but i hear that the cowon systems sound pretty similar across the board)

I don't necessarily need better, just close to the same (meaning a big upgrade from stock Ipod jack.
thanks for any feedback.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to use a 2nd gen nano-turbo dock- T1 and replaced it for the iaudio 7. iaudio 7 sounded better and much less baggage. It is a very nice DAP.

I can't comment on the iAudio 7 but the 2G iPod nano is the worst sounding iPod I've heard and may not be representative of the 5G. I sold my nano within a month of buying it purely for SQ reasons.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 10
doesn't it also depend on the quality of the music files your listening to? like there is a big difference between 320kbps vs 128 kbps also type of files your using etc. but yea I would get a iaudio7 b/c of the files it could play.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 10
I listen to MP3 at 320.
I have a big collection, so i won't be converting to flac or anything like that.

So sounds like the I7 will be as good/better that a rig from the ipod lineout. Anything else i should know/consider?

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Don't own any of the Apple products.

That said, I am rather impressed with my 7. I've lent mine out to others who use different headphones than mine (I use HD25s mostly, with MS1s and YHD-1s - no inner ear stuff) and most seem to actually find it sounds good. Admittedly, the EQ functions seem to be a factor based upon the times I have had to readjust to my settings.

The most common negative comments I have had was the relatively small memory capacity (but for MP3s, I wonder how much is really needed) and inadvertant control actuation - I've learned to lock it and use my amp for sound level control.

Personally, I hope the 7 is not one of the better sounding players - since then I'll more likely be dissatisfied with the sound of a higher number of other players I may buy in the future. I will note I am not impressed with any of the stock ipods I've heard so far - which is why I don't own any.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1M1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The most common negative comments I have had was the relatively small memory capacity (but for MP3s, I wonder how much is really needed) and inadvertant control actuation - I've learned to lock it and use my amp for sound level control.

You know, there IS a setting that allows use of the actual buttons (the ones along the silver/red band) during hold for volume/play/pause or forward/reverse/play/pause (which is what I use).

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't it also depend on the quality of the music files your listening to? like there is a big difference between 320kbps vs 128 kbps also type of files your using etc. but yea I would get a iaudio7 b/c of the files it could play.

Not everyone looking for the codes that cowon offers, there is a number of people have 256 or 320 mps., so the codes don't really play big difference if you don't need them.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 10
FWIW...

The physical measurements of the Iaudio 7 and the iBasso T2 are nearly identical.

Measurements listed below are ripped from each of their respective websites:

t2%20B1.jpg

[size=large]iBasso T2[/size]
  1. Length 2.9"
  2. Width 1.4"
  3. Height .33"

i7_zoom10.jpg

[size=large]iAudio 7[/size]
  1. Length 2.9"
  2. Width 1.3"
  3. Height .70"

Click here to see a comparison size graph of these 2 devices. It's pretty cool!

If you're looking for a portable rig that looks good and is very small, this seems to be a pretty amazing duo.

However... I haven't heard them together. Anybody know how these two sound together?

What would be a good interconnect to place between the two?

At this point, this is the combo I'm thinking about getting:

Iaudio7 > ?Interconnect? > iBasso T2 > Denon ADH-D2000 > My Lucky Ears

Thoughts?

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, there IS a setting that allows use of the actual buttons (the ones along the silver/red band) during hold for volume/play/pause or forward/reverse/play/pause (which is what I use).

No, I didn't.

Where is this setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back