Which soundcard > Hi-fi
Dec 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

adfinni

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit stuck on which soundcard to chose to connect to my new Hi-fi system.

I will most likely be purchasing a pair of monitor audio bronze 2 speakers, paired up with either a Marantz PM4400, or PM4001 amp.

I guess that using the 'front speakers' output from the audigy 2 to the amp will give less than satisfactory results. Which sound card would be best for my situation?
I'm looking at the emu 0404 mainly, but would an chaintech A710 sound as good, or are there any other cards you could recommend?

Thanks

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 4
First of all, the EMU 0404 is a significant step up from the AV-710.

It's all a matter of how much money you want to spend, there are many good soundcards between 20$ and 200$ out there. So, how much is it going to be?

An external DAC would be even better, if your budget allows it.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 4
If it's a significant step up, then i gues that will do it for me (possibly)

Well my budget of £100 that i was originally going to spend on a soundcard and amp (like a cmoy or PAV2) went out the window when i decided i wanted a HiFi.

I'm not sure that i want to spend even more money on an external DAC. I know nothing about the DAC's out there, but from what ive seen they cost aroun £160 (headroom micro DAC) which is far far too expensive for me.

At the moment im considering just the emu connected (via various adaptors) --> my home amps phono sockets --> speakers.

How will my 320AAC files sound on that system, as i want the quality to get as close to a cd+amp+speaker combination as possible?

thanks

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni
If it's a significant step up, then i gues that will do it for me (possibly)

Well my budget of £100 that i was originally going to spend on a soundcard and amp (like a cmoy or PAV2) went out the window when i decided i wanted a HiFi.

I'm not sure that i want to spend even more money on an external DAC. I know nothing about the DAC's out there, but from what ive seen they cost aroun £160 (headroom micro DAC) which is far far too expensive for me.

At the moment im considering just the emu connected (via various adaptors) --> my home amps phono sockets --> speakers.

How will my 320AAC files sound on that system, as i want the quality to get as close to a cd+amp+speaker combination as possible?

thanks

I've really enjoyed my
M-Audio Revolution soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back