Which sound card should I get?
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kerblooy

New Head-Fier
Hello! So i've just entered the world of audio (holy crap there's a lot to read) and I'm looking for advice on a sound card.

I have a ASUS M4N75TD mobo and I use onboard sound and I just bought the ATH A900X (which I love)

Before these headphones I had the Logitech G930s and I really fell in love with the virtual surround sound.  Is there a away to get this with a sound card? Will it lower the quality of the sound? I love the "open" feeling of surround sound.

I'm not looking to spend more than 50$ish

Also, do sound cards increase microphone quality? My microphone quality through the onboard sound has always been absolute crap compared to usb mics.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
forgot to say I may have a problem with fitting a sound card...

It would have to fit in that wee little spot..I've read up on external sound cards as well but I'm not sure if they're the same thing just..ya' know..external 

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 6
External *can* be the same thing, it really just depends on the specifics of the device (there's a lot that only do stereo or have no audio inputs (e.g. no mic inputs), etc). Given the fit issues (and you really don't want to stuff card in there - it'll get quite toasty), I'd go outboard. The Creative X-Fi HD USB should fit the bill, but might go over $50.

As far as improving mic quality - yes and no, assuming the mic is decent by itself to begin with and just needs a more robust preamp, then yes. If it's dumpy, the best preamp setup in the world won't fix that. :xf_eek:

I would not generally suggest "virtual surround sound" with music, but for games and movies it can be a fun effect.

Here's the USB box I'm thinking of:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-System-SB1240/dp/B004275EO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365309819&sr=8-1&keywords=x-fi+hd+usb

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the antlion modmoc and as far as I know its a good quality mic.

I've also read that your processor has to be able to run a USB box, I have the AMD X6, is that good?

Also does that one have surround sound cause yeah it is super fun for movies :), but I can't seem to find it in the specs.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the antlion modmoc and as far as I know its a good quality mic.

I've also read that your processor has to be able to run a USB box, I have the AMD X6, is that good?

Also does that one have surround sound cause yeah it is super fun for movies :), but I can't seem to find it in the specs.

Thanks for the help!

Shouldn't even be having the discussion about the processor...:popcorn: But yes, a six-core, modern, 64-bit CPU can run that box (probably around 100 times over)...:rolleyes:

And it mentions having the THX re-badging of the CMSS features, so it should be good to go. :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm glad you picked up the a900x, because you will get great "virtual 7.1" out of these headphones.

As for microphone quality, yes it will be improved. But the problem I had with having the xonar is that the microphone was too quiet. This is probably due to the card not having the extra power compared to onboard audio. You may not have an issue with your creative blaster since it's USB powered.

I'm currently using an asus crosshair V formula-z motherboard with supremefxiii audio paired with an a900x. That I just bought on friday. 

Is it stereo? Yes. However it depends on the game you play. 

For example, I hopped into a game of Battlefield 3, set audio to "Wartapes" (best audio quality) and every sound could be pinpointed by the headphones. No need for radar because audio is good enough. Jets could be blazing by and I could really tell the difference whether it's behind me, above, or in front. Compared to my old system that had an Xonar DG 5.1 with Siberia V2's which marketted itself as having "virtual 7.1", it did not feel like 7.1 at all! It didn't take long that I realized that virtual 7.1 are just headphones with big drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back