Which Sonic/V-Cap?
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to fab a v-cap dock for my 5.5G iMod. I figure I can do the work, but don't know which components to use.

With so many options for the V-cap or Sonic cap (which I'll probably be using because of the price), which is the best for my application?

5.5G iMod to a PRII to UE10s.

Any help appreciated...RC

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking to fab a v-cap dock for my 5.5G iMod. I figure I can do the work, but don't know which components to use.

With so many options for the V-cap or Sonic cap (which I'll probably be using because of the price), which is the best for my application?

5.5G iMod to a PRII to UE10s.

Any help appreciated...RC

Well you just answered your question.

My capacitor choice for my film-portable Dock, which I am currently working on, was dictated by the enclosure first and then I was looking for capacitor which could perfectly fit in it. ALO did exact the opposite- they choose the Cap and then ordered custom made cases for it.

You see, I found capacitors that can beat V-Cap caps hand down, twice cheaper and even don't required burn-in 8-0. But the cap bigger then regular cap and if you can find case for it, the dock will be more transportable then portable.
There are always pros and cons!

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I think he's asking what uf he needs to make his dock. I know that EFN used 6.8uf and 8.0uf caps to make his monster Frankenstein dock. I'm in the same situation as you, but I'm also looking at the Sonicap's and Mundorf...they both make great caps as well, but they may not look as pretty...but who cares if they're in an enclosure.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's asking what uf he needs to make his dock.

Yeah Nick, I wasn't specific, uf's what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to see if anyone here has made a vcap-type dock, and the only thing I can find is something in The Apple diyMod thread that also incorporates modding the iPod.

I've already got the iMod from Vinnie, I just need the dock. I wanted something longer than the stock iMod dock I got from Vinnie as the amp I'm using has the input on the back and I want to run the amp/iMod head to toe so I need a longer connector.

Ken quoted me $250 for a standard BG iMod dock with a Au/Ag wire thrown in the mix, and I just can't see spending that much for an interconnect/dock which got me thinking I may as well do it myself and try one of the super caps, prolly the Sonicap because of the price and the fact this is the first one I'll be doing.

If there are any links or threads you can point me to, or any advice you can offer I'd appreciate it. I've got no problems doing the work, I just have problems figuring out the best materials to use (like wire, etc.)

Thanks...Rod

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's asking what uf he needs to make his dock. I know that EFN used 6.8uf and 8.0uf caps to make his monster Frankenstein dock. I'm in the same situation as you, but I'm also looking at the Sonicap's and Mundorf...they both make great caps as well, but they may not look as pretty...but who cares if they're in an enclosure.

Mundorf is a nice cap but it is big for my case and almost expensive as V-Cap and the difference between Sonicap and Mundorf could be even not noticeable with most amps and headphones.

If the size of the dock no issue then there is wide choice: from crazy expensive to relatively cheap and almost as good.

Since I could find only one enclosure, which small enough for me to use with an ipod, I didn't have a lot off choices.

Secondary everybody make their choices according to their priorities.
It doesn’t make sense for me personally to buy or make the best sounding dock at a high price because you already made sacrifices by going with portable amp and headphones.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mundorf is a nice cap but it is big for my case and almost expensive as V-Cap and the difference between Sonicap and Mundorf could be even not noticeable with most amps and headphones.

If the size of the dock no issue then there is wide choice: from crazy expensive to relatively cheap and almost as good.

Since I could find only one enclosure, which small enough for me to use with an ipod, I didn't have a lot off choices.

Secondary everybody make their choices according to their priorities.
It doesn’t make sense for me personally to buy or make the best sounding dock at a high price because you already made sacrifices by going with portable amp and headphones.

True, I was just suggesting it the brand because I didn't know if he knew about them.

What is the minimum uf needed to make an iMod cable?
I'm looking for a cap that is no bigger than 12mm wide by 24mm long and sounds superb. Who makes a great sounding cap in that size?

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Nick, I wasn't specific, uf's what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to see if anyone here has made a vcap-type dock, and the only thing I can find is something in The Apple diyMod thread that also incorporates modding the iPod.

I've already got the iMod from Vinnie, I just need the dock. I wanted something longer than the stock iMod dock I got from Vinnie as the amp I'm using has the input on the back and I want to run the amp/iMod head to toe so I need a longer connector.

Ken quoted me $250 for a standard BG iMod dock with a Au/Ag wire thrown in the mix, and I just can't see spending that much for an interconnect/dock which got me thinking I may as well do it myself and try one of the super caps, prolly the Sonicap because of the price and the fact this is the first one I'll be doing.

If there are any links or threads you can point me to, or any advice you can offer I'd appreciate it. I've got no problems doing the work, I just have problems figuring out the best materials to use (like wire, etc.)

Thanks...Rod

You can do what I did just don't connect ipod to the dock permanently and make line in instead:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post3551999

Also I am rebuilding/improving it so if you don't want to wait a week or so for the results shout me PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back