Which songs have been ruined for you by excessive airplay and. . .
Aug 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title suggests, I'm curious to know what songs (if any), that you used to like, but have been ruined for you either by too much airplay, TV-ad association, or self-inflicted over-exposure
icon10.gif

For example, I liked 'Bohemian Rhapsody' the first million times I heard it. . . but after years and years of having it rammed down my throat over and over again, on the radio, the TV, by tribute bands etc etc blah blah blah, I can honestly say I am sick of it, and now consider it officially 'dead' to me. Any pleasure I once took from its earlier airings has long since been forgotten
frown.gif

Other 'ruined' songs which instantly come to mind, are:

'Death' by airplay:
  1. Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procul Harum
  1. I'm Not In Love - 10cc
  1. Bridge Over Troubled Water - S & G

'Death' by self-inflicted overexposure
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

1. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
  1. Money - Pink Floyd

'Death' by TV ads (in the UK anyway)
  1. All Right Now - Free. . . the instantly recognisable opening riff tainted forever by Wrigley's chewing gum
    blink.gif
  1. Samba Pa Ti - Santana. . . enjoyment well and truly doused after hearing it played to a Marks & Spencer cream-cake ad
    mad.gif
So. . . you get the idea. I know there must be tons of other songs, 'murdered' by excessive airplay, TV exposure, or 'self-infliction' etc. I want to know the first few that instantly spring to mind, without even needing to think about it.
The only criteria is they must be songs you used to like
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 51
I honestly can't remember exactly which ones anymore cause I don't listen to radio broadcasts much anymore either. But I do recall being bugged by just that sort of thing happening when I was in the habit of listening to basically one station in the car.

My biggest problem is that my sound system in the car is directly connected electronically to the accelerator.

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 51
Anything in frequently in TV ads, plus something I have had in my car. I used to have same CD's at least five years and after I noticed that I am ruining them due to excessive low-fi listening I switched to commercial radio -- at least they don't play anything I have.

I am still reluctant to pick at least

GNR - Use Your Illusion II
Jeff Beck - You Had It Coming

because of self-inflicted overexposure in the car.

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeff Beck - You Had It Coming because of self-inflicted overexposure in the car.

Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining.LOL! You just reminded me of another. Serious death-by-airplay!

Quote:

Stopped listening to the radio 40 years ago, but I sympathize.

Ken, I hardly listen anymore either, but a lot of my friends still do, and there seems to be radios playing all over, in waiting rooms, department stores - and in some of the pubs, there's even radio playing in the toilets!

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 51
Every SINGLE song by Nickleback (not a fan anyways) but man...super overplayed in the states...omg...they suck stop ruining my ears.

seriously, I've changed stations and went to another nickleback song...totally pissed.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 51
x2 Nickelback.

Almost anything from the late 90's... Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers come to mind. I listen only to Sirius (primarily Left of Center) in the car now and lossless rips at home, so I'm not as damanged anymore. Sirius (at least, the stations I listen to) has a pretty wide playlist.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 51
Who cares if something is played once or all the time. If it is good for you then it is good. Don't spend your time worrying whether it is becoming too popular and that it needs to be esoteric to be "good."

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares if something is played once or all the time. If it is good for you then it is good. Don't spend your time worrying whether it is becoming too popular and that it needs to be esoteric to be "good."

That's not it at all. Sometimes something "good" wears on you after awhile. Example, I like chocolate frosted pop tarts, but after eating them for weeks I need to switch to strawberry.

Same goes for music. Some stuff I just get tired of after hearing it a few hundred times.

On the flip side, some music simply never wears on you. I'm not sure how to define the characteristics that qualify as such.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 51
Almost the entirety of the first Cars album. Never need to hear that again.

Roxanne by the Police. Didn't help that I had to hear it 40 times over a three day stretch on a field trip to NYC back in '87.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 51
Any song that they advertise on Verizon commercials as part of their V-Cast (although I think they once used a Goldfrapp song, no complaints there, but that may have been Alltel).

Also I've heard various bits of Four Seasons in way too many jewelry/diamond commercials.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 51
I thought a lot of Beatle songs got ruined by over exposure. Then a few months later I went back to them and nope, they're still fresh and new
smily_headphones1.gif
......this is because their recordings are organic and their songs are inventive......you can hear mistakes in some of the recordings, and it only makes for better music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back