Which side do you PRAT with?
Sep 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I write right and throw left.
icon10.gif

Same here. My parents had this hillbilly thought that left-handed people were demon possessed or some stupid thing. My dad wouldn't buy me a right handed glove. I would catch the ball with my left hand, take off the glove and throw it. I was able to benefit batting both sides though.

I prat fast pace left side, slow right.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 23
All cylinders must be firing for PRAT with me.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. My parents had this hillbilly thought that left-handed people were demon possessed or some stupid thing. My dad wouldn't buy me a right handed glove. I would catch the ball with my left hand, take off the glove and throw it. I was able to benefit batting both sides though.

I prat fast pace left side, slow right.

My father went to NYC public schools through high school, roughly 1930 to 1942. If he got caught writing with his left hand in class, the teacher would crack him hard across the knuckles with a metal-edged ruler. Result? He does everything left-handed except write, and his handwriting looks like the scribbles of a madman. Sometimes not even he can read it. Thank god for the QWERTY keyboard!

He is trying to re-train himself now -- in his mid-80s -- to write with his left hand.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #19 of 23
I am terrible at PRATing. That's why when I play in the orchestra, I have to ask the principal who sits next to me to keep the stand extra high, so I can literally make eye contact with the conductor to keep count.

But I have to say I use my right foot.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does everything left-handed except write, and his handwriting looks like the scribbles of a madman. Sometimes not even he can read it. Thank god for the QWERTY keyboard!

He is trying to re-train himself now -- in his mid-80s -- to write with his left hand.

Haha, wow, my story's quite similar to that. I was discouraged from using my left hand, but I persisted until I picked up ambidexterity a few years ago.

I'm also learning left-handed Dvorak to complement my Dvorak and QWERTY.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K., I Googled Prat. I Wikipediad PRAT. I have no blessed idea of what you are talking about. After trying to figure this out, I voted in the poll and was comforted to find out that 50% of voters at that moment shared my cluelessness. This is gonna bother me all freaking day.

[size=medium]EDITED[/size]

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, wow, my story's quite similar to that. I was discouraged from using my left hand, but I persisted until I picked up ambidexterity a few years ago.

I'm also learning left-handed Dvorak to complement my Dvorak and QWERTY.

I was actually proud when I found out that lefties are only 10-15 percent of the population (I'm a lefty, like my dad).

BBC World Service radio reported a couple of days ago that left-handedness may have seemed to decline during the Victorian era in England. Literacy rose dramatically during that period, and it's easier to spot a lefty when you see him/her writing. So the school system began methodically supressing left-handedness among school children.

I have not heard of the Dvorak keyboard layout in probably 15 years. Can you actually buy a Dvorak keyboard, or do you have to program it yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back