which Sennheiser's model is in the same class with Grado HF1 (not same price)
Oct 23, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
I would guess that it would take a HD-650 w/ aftermarket cable to match the HF-1's.

I haven't heard the HF-1's but I have heard the 650's with a ZU aftermarket cable and if this statement is true that would have to make the HF-1's the greatest value in headphones hands down no debate. Your saying that it compares with what is argued to be the worlds top headphone with a aftermarket cable that would put the 650 possibly 3 times the cost of the HF-1.

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #17 of 45
Ya know these HF-1's (w/flats) seem to be getting better by the day. They were just a tad bright out of the box (w/flats), but they have gotten smoother and smoother over the past 2 weeks. I'm loving them. The bass is phenominal, strong, but controlled. Compared to my poraPros/KSC-35's they have a harder 'punch', but with no bloat or 'flub'. I honestly dislike the sound of my portaPro's now. If I throw them on right after listening my HF-1's or even my SR-80's, the portaPro's sound so terrible I get pist off that I paid $38 for them. Terrible sound for the money. At least the KSC-35's are super compact and only cost me $20, which was totally worth it. I even took the grilles off my portaPro's today and drilled them....still sound like crap. I think the problem lies in the driver, it just sucks (oh IMO).

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 45
I owned both the HD-650's (w/ BDv2) and the HF-1 at the same time and it was easily clear that the HD-650's were technically a step above the HF-1's. However the HF-1's were more enjoyable to listen to with music other than jazz. The HD-650's were better in some ways, but I think the HF-1's are very easy to live with because they give you so much for so little.

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 45
I think it's a little hard to compare Grados and Senns in terms of overall performance. Grados are fun cans that can be incredibly enjoyable for the things they do well, but the fidelity for the money isn't that amazing. Higher end Senns are serious cans and are likely to offer a much better value if youre looking for a more purist sound, at least if you have something to drive them well.

That said, I'm going to agree with all the other HD580 fans here. I've been listening primarily to my HF-1 for the last week and I love it, it's fantastic for rock, among other things. But my HD580 is still clearly a class above it. In my opinion, my K271 and K400/K401 are also better than the HF-1, and all were a lot cheaper. But hey, not complaining, HF-1 still sounds awesome in the Way of the Grado; wood, bass, limited edition, signature, coloration, impact, speed, fun, rock and roll, good times.

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 45
I don't want to pay much more money

and I don't heard sennheiser's sound before,

but I want to buy headphone which different in sound with HF-1

it's very enjoyment it you had two style sound
lambda.gif

Senn 650 is exellent, but i can't offer it
lambda.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Haha I know - the HF-1 is a great can but it's not the best can ever made, even at the $200 price mark.

--Illah

There was that guy comparing it to the HD-650 with aftermarket cables...

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 45
Grado HF-1: Sennerized Grado

Sennheiser HD 595: Gradoized Senn

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

On the other hand I can easily identify that the HF-1's sound better than the 225's. It may be, and probably is, an issue of familiarity. I didn't have a chance to get comfortable with the senn sound but I would guess that it would take a HD-650 w/ aftermarket cable to match the HF-1's. At least in an obviously noticable way. Now if I was more familiar with the senn's then it might be a different story.

and you base your information on what basis? IMO that is highly unlikely.

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
Grado HF-1: Sennerized Grado

Sennheiser HD 595: Gradoized Senn

595s are nothing in common to the grado sound. the 595s sound more like a pair of cans trying to sound like the 600's but fails in comparison. Nowhere even close to the Grados, I percieved absolutely no similarities in the 595s and Grado sound. They definately sounded like senns.

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 45
The HD595 sound a little more forward than the HD580/600/650. But there is more to the Grado house sound than just an upfront presentation.

The best value in the Sennheiser line is the HD580. If you want the Sennheiser flagship dynamic sound in a relatively cheap package, that is the headphone to get. It costs less than most of the upgrade cables designed for the HD650.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
595s are nothing in common to the grado sound.

I disagree. Their sonic balances are similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
the 595s sound more like a pair of cans trying to sound like the 600's but fails in comparison. Nowhere even close to the Grados, I percieved absolutely no similarities in the 595s and Grado sound. They definately sounded like senns.

I don't think the 595s are "trying to sound like the 600s." They are in a different series of headphones (with different compromises) that are designed to be used with lesser amplification.

I'm not comparing the 595/HF-1's general "sound." The 595s certainly have that Sennheiser softness/smoothness characteristic, but the smaller soundstage/forward mids (compared to the 580/600/650 series) is a move in the Grado direction. The HF-1 is the only Grado I've heard, but a number of HF-1 owners have described it as having fuller bass and less prominant highs than similarly priced Grado models (SR 225, SR 325). To me, that is a move in the Sennheiser direction.

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

I didn't have a chance to get comfortable with the senn sound but I would guess that it would take a HD-650 w/ aftermarket cable to match the HF-1's. .

How ridicilous statement. Could you please explain this.

These headphones have totally different sound signature and I think you can't even directly compare them. But I'm almost certain that when talking about refinement of sound and overall quality, 650s will be a clear winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back