Which Sennheiser Closed Headphones for Mixing / Portable Listening
Feb 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thesyner

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at getting another pair of headphones, but am undecided between the Sennheiser HD25s and Amperiors.

Uses (in order of highest to lowest priority):

1) Mixing with a Pioneer DJM400 mixer -- mostly dubstep / bass music, psytrance, some techno..
2) Use as a semi-portable headphone to listen to music at work

Previously for mixing, I had the Pioneer HDJ1000s which I didn't mind, but they were a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time.  I heard the HD25s years ago, and quite liked them. I've also briefly sampled my dad's Amperiors and thought they sounded okay, but I didn't get to listen as much as I would have liked.

Here, we can get the Amperiors on special (I guess due to being discontinued) for $200. HD25s are still around $300.  I like the idea of lower impedance of the amperiors so I could use them as portable headphones.  My concern is surrounding how the lower impedance impacts the sound, and whether they would be suitable to use for mixing?  Also would there be issues of driving them too hard and causing damage?

All the people I know who mix have previously sworn by the HD25s, but I haven't yet come across anyone who has used the Amperiors for mixing and can comment on how they compare to the HD25s.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 5
Hello,

Sound does not really get affected by impedance. Be it high or low, they will sound the same, but the matter is on damping factors. You basically want to make sure the amp's or source output impedance is 8 times lower than the headphone impedance to avoid any change in sound quality. However, given the flat frequency vs impedance response of Amperior's, its SQ will not get affected by any types of output impedance. 

You will only kill a headphone by turning the volume too loud. Just make sure you listen at a decent volume and when you plug it into a powerful source, make sure the volume is set at the lowest before plugging it in then increase the volume slowly and stop at where you find the volume is perfect. 

Hope it helps
Billson 
size]

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the advice.. I definitely think I'll go for the Sennheiser Amperior. It's either that, or the HD25s

Considering how the Amperiors are significantly cheaper at the moment, they seem to be worth a shot.  I suppose I could wait for the HD25 Aluminium, however knowing how slow we are in Australia to get Sennheiser headphones & the time it takes before exclusive distributor rights are dropped (the Amperiors were sold exclusively by Apple here for $450 initially), I think I could be waiting for quite a while.

Thanks again :)

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 5
I've used the amperiors out of mixing desks without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back