Which Schiit to get? (amp/dac choice opinon request)

Which option

• Asguard 2 + Modi Multibit

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Asguard 3 + Module

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Jotunheim + Module

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 33
No you should not go single ended into a balanced amp you are only asking for trouble and also that cable would actually not plug into the headphone connector. The male 3 pin XLR connector is only for the input of the amp. The input for the headphone balanced connection needs a 4 pin XLR male connector .

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 33
Yeah, I'm no expert but the amp is putting out a balanced signal when using the balanced out such as the 4-pin XLR. Now the adapter you mentionned will merge the signal defying all purpose of using a balanced output and possibly damaging your amp.

A balanced ouput carries the signal and the reverse polarity signal used to cancel out noise. When merging both signal into a single ended cable or adapter, only bad things can come out of this. There is a lot more to understanding exactly out if works but you get the idea at this point: using an bal to unbal adapter from a bal signal to an unbal cable is a bad idea! :)

This might help: https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution

Here is a blog going in depth of balanced vs unbalanced.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #19 of 33
Good to know, so only use the SE port until I get a dedicated XLR balanced cable for the balanced output.
That newFantasia seems like a great cable, what would be the next step up if I had a little more budget to work with (say sub $100)?
My biggest concern from the reviews about this is the microphonics I tend to bounce my legs when seated and that will get real annoying real quick (I don't have that issue with my current periapt).

I have seen some recommendations of ImpactAudioCables, venus audio, surf, and of course periapt.

I'm leaning towards this one from Venus: https://www.venusaudio.net/product-page/sennheiser-hd600-hd650-balanced
I like the braiding better than the fantasia, and I get an extra foot over the periapt and its cheaper than the impact (though I really like the look of the E-T4PR XLR and fancy splitter caps not sure its worth a $40+ difference).

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 33
Yeah, better avoid cables that have complaints about the noise they make related to friction or anything. Also, I tend not to trust the quality of silver plated copper at these low prices. Have a read at its description: "Features:high resolving power, smooth sound transparent, clear and full of layered detail; IF moist, magnetic voice; full of powerful low frequency". This is a no no for me, I don't like my cables "moist". :)

The Venus cable you link seems ok. I don't like that there are no specs or descriptions but I see they use Cardas on their more expensive stuff and that Cardas cable is good. Fancy splitters are just that, fancy. They don't affect the sound signal so it's just for looks. Nothing wrong with getting a fancy one, just know it's just for looks.

Hart Audio cables are well reviewed. I like Corpse Cables myself.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #21 of 33
I liked the look of Hart as well but, they're outta stock of the senn cables I pinged hart, venus, and impact requesting quotes and lead times to make a final selection (periapt already noted they have a 3 week delay on their website).
The corpse cable looks nice but hard to justify $140 for just a basic cable when I was planning 100 (if it offered better aesthetics I might be willing to put more towards it)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 33
So current tally:
$70 - 6' Venus ships 3-5 business days
$110 - 6' Impact ships 3-5 business days for standard cable (the E-T4PR XLR are out of stock with no ETA though)
$67 - 5' Periapt ships estimated 21 business days
$?? - 6' Hart no response yet

I think what I'm gonna do is give that newFantasia cable a shot, if it sucks Amazon makes the return easy and I'll use SE until the impactadiocables E-T4PR ends are available.
I really like the reasonable cost for OCC cabling, aesthetics of the source end/splitter, and the custom individual sleeve options ~ they have great reviews too.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #23 of 33
Got the Amazon cable in, the microphonics actually aren't as bad for me actually.
Tapping or hitting the main cable generates little to nothing, however the last 18" from the splitter to the headset if tapped do resonate a good bit I could see how some folks hated it.
I'm pretty tall so its not horrible for me since it hang down far enough, but it is definitely a major flaw for an almost $50 cable.

I'll give it a week or two of game playing/music listening, and report back~ about 50/50 shot whether I return it based off my current opinion.
I will say it crazy how little volume I have to crank out of the Jot with the balanced cable vs SE, its probably about 25% lower volume for the same result.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #24 of 33
Only lasted the weekend, it did get extremely bothersome after using it for a while.
Its a decent quality cable from a sound perspective, the microphonics kill it though, just returned it gonna use my SE cable and order a impactaudio cable.

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 33
Only lasted the weekend, it did get extremely bothersome after using it for a while.
Its a decent quality cable from a sound perspective, the microphonics kill it though, just returned it gonna use my SE cable and order a impactaudio cable.

Totally understand you. I've have been trying hard in the last 2 years to take all of the noises away from my setup. From rattling ceiling tiles to hisses and buzzes from sources, devices and all. Cable noise are amongst them. Even if I'm sitting rather still when listening, noises over music drives me nuts! :)

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 33
All headphone are different as how they handle different material on a cable and how the plug is coupled to the cup and the resonance it can produce.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #28 of 33
I don’t know but you need to get the good Schiit.
I did get the good schiit the Jotunheim is awesome, but the cable was schiity too so I gotta upgrade!
All headphone are different as how they handle different material on a cable and how the plug is coupled to the cup and the resonance it can produce.
Yep and this one was extremely poor just putting my experience out there to recommend against it.

I’ll throw some pictures in once I get thenew cable and everything is finalized for my setup.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #29 of 33
I did get the good schiit the Jotunheim is awesome, but the cable was schiity too so I gotta upgrade!

Yep and this one was extremely poor just putting my experience out there to recommend against it.

I’ll throw some pictures in once I get thenew cable and everything is finalized for my setup.

Sounds like you’re getting your Schiit together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back