Which route to go - portable headphones or custom IEMs?
May 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

microsound

Aka: nnkuma/nnkuma1/gogators
Aka: socialscene/faithmore/leixingzhe
Flipping products from eBay
For portable solutions, which system provide better sound quality and portability? both factors considered.
I recently compared DT1350 and JH13 with cowon - ibasso T3. My feeling is that JH13 provides better sound quality, more portable and lower-profile in public. For music on the go, I prefer custom IEMs.

May 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Can't afford custom IEMs, but I've found universal IEMs to be a much better fit for my portable rig than portable headphones. I like being able to quickly put them into a case and tuck them in my pocket along with my iPod (and amp sometimes).

May 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't both taking my JH13 out with me. Portable players can't compete with desktop rigs and so the increase in SQ from my custom SE530 to JH13 from a portable player is not that great. I stick with my custom SE530 on the go and JH13 into my desktop rig and that's made me happy.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Trying to figure out the same question myself at the moment.
Was originally planning on going with an ipod classic 160gb -> fostex hp-p1-> audio technica es10 setup
I'm now debating on that or going with something like a ipod ->digizoid Z02 -> Dream Earz aud5x iems

I love my magnum v4s, but I'm really looking for a more portable solution, and more bass.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Great to see that most of us like IEMs more for portable use. I like the dt1350 for the sound and they look beautiful alone. But due to their deep barrels, I just found myself look stupid wearing them and definitely would not use these in public situations. the hd25s have shallower barrels and less high-profile when used in public.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Nope, I can still hear what's going on around me. CIEMs don't isolate that much more.

Sounds like a poor fit to me...

But, If yer happy?

Cheers

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Really?
Are your CIEM's ported for ambient?
With my Shure 425 IEM, they sealed well and cut ambient very effectively that with music on I could cut out the lawn mower.

Not ported at all. Sorry I mean that I can still hear stuff when there is no music playing or the music is on very low volume.

Quote:
Sounds like a poor fit to me...
But, If yer happy?
Cheers

Fit is fantastic on both of my CIEMs. People just overstate how good customs isolate compared to iems. I would say its a probably a 5dB difference. There's definitely a noticeable increase in isolation from the old SE530, but it's not so massive that I would get a custom for that. I'm talking putting the volume down 2 notches on my Clip+ with ciems as compared to a well sealed SE530.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back