which rock headphones ?
Feb 13, 2006 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Foolproof-Jean

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I listen mostly to rock and electronic/house.

My difficult question : which AKG, Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic headphones ?

Price : +/- 140 EUR/170 $

I didn't mention my preferences because I like to know what you should do.
tongue.gif

EDIT :
For me, comfortable headphones are also important.

Thnx in advance,
Foolproof-Jean
580smile.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 37
Youre right in the range for Grado SR-225's which is basically THE rock headphone and obviously is also very very good for electronic music. Use the search and look for reviews for these, basically you will not be at all dissapointed with these

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 37
Anything Grado is the no brainer.

DT770 if you want closed and some bass slam. What Grado goes for guitars the DT770 does for drums. Needs robust amplification.

K240s if you want a less aggressive than Grado / more foreward than senn sound. Much more ambiant than any comparable Grado. needs robust amplification. Can be a bit sloppy, modded/ recabled / amped with a buffered circuit is the way to go.

KSC75 amp with a mint or govibe.

Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
I think they have to pay crazy money for Grados in Europe, but I could be wrong.

The price in EU is just overrated anyway. First its because they are US product and before they come to you as consumer well how many jerks have to make money before selling them. Second is that US is much bigger market and you can get more offers then in EU. I am not trying totaly crack the EU system, dont get me wrong, but this is how it works. For exemple if you buy Grado in UK you pay like GBP 100, but in Germany or Holland will be EUR 130. And in US you pay only USD 100. Can you tell me why? Simple because there are only couple of import companys, or even one, that do this and to buy Grado's in Holland for exemple you have to go to special hifi store, not just electronica, but real one where only selective products can be find. Its much different from US and most of people just find an Sennheiser in almost every hi-fi store. Personaly i dont see anything exclusive in Grado 60 to 225 series. They are just good phones that have very good ID on the market and if you ask me why dont sell them like Sennheiser's. What i think is that Grado itself do not want this, to keep some exclusivity feeling. What a b..ll s..t. I had never found Grado phones as something super special, once again they have very good positioning on the market like other's to and nothing more then that
eggosmile.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 37
Here are the best bet for rock:

Under $200.00
Beyer dt770
Beyer dt900
Alessandro MS1

Under $300.00*
Alessandro MS2/MS2i
Grado 325/325i
Grado HF1

* If you look for these used, you can likely stay close to your budget.

- augustwest

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
I think they have to pay crazy money for Grados in Europe, but I could be wrong.

I bought the the SR125's in December from within the UK- They came to $226

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 37
If you want Grado in Europe: Buy a Alessandro or buy used here at head-fi.
You can't go wrong with the MS1 at this price - it's just outstanding with rock!

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
The price in EU is just overrated anyway. First its because they are US product and before they come to you as consumer well how many jerks have to make money before selling them. Second is that US is much bigger market and you can get more offers then in EU. I am not trying totaly crack the EU system, dont get me wrong, but this is how it works. For exemple if you buy Grado in UK you pay like GBP 100, but in Germany or Holland will be EUR 130. And in US you pay only USD 100. Can you tell me why? Simple because there are only couple of import companys, or even one, that do this and to buy Grado's in Holland for exemple you have to go to special hifi store, not just electronica, but real one where only selective products can be find. Its much different from US and most of people just find an Sennheiser in almost every hi-fi store. Personaly i dont see anything exclusive in Grado 60 to 225 series. They are just good phones that have very good ID on the market and if you ask me why dont sell them like Sennheiser's. What i think is that Grado itself do not want this, to keep some exclusivity feeling. What a b..ll s..t. I had never found Grado phones as something super special, once again they have very good positioning on the market like other's to and nothing more then that
eggosmile.gif

Yeah, but you should see the price of good German beer here. Sheesh!!
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 37
Agree, the Alessandro's would be a great choice. As an added bonus, you can change the sound signature dramatically by changing earpads between bowls, flats, and Sennheiser flats.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Are MS-1s good for electronica in general?

Yes, with flat pads.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 37
I'll add another voice to the chorus recommending Grado 225's. Love mine, doesn't get any better for rocking out.
basshead.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Yeah, but you should see the price of good German beer here. Sheesh!!
icon10.gif

Exactly right, same story.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back