Which R10 do you prefer?
Feb 27, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was originally thought that early models were bass-lite, later bass-heavy. We now know there are 3 (some say 4) separate drivers with different part numbers that were used throughout production. My theory is that the driver selected depended on what part of the world it was being sold to. There used to be stereotypes about the kind of sound prefered by Japanese vs. Americans vs. Europeans. Perhaps each driver was tailored to fit their perception of sound favored in each market.

This makes a lot of sense, there are other manufacturers who did the same. Luxman comes to mind, they had models for japanese market and the same with other reference number and slight changes for the american/european markets.

Regards.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 18
I have the bass-heavy model and have heard the bass-light model only once and with my personal amp, which is quite good, but not the uber amp some have. There were subtle but clear differences, but in my brief listening, I couldn't say I preferred one over the other. I really think someone would have to have some time and the gear capable of bringing out the best in both before a statement of preference has much meaning. I do know that people who have owned both have said that the bass-light pair are harder to drive, and according to one who has owned multiple R10s and multiple amps, the bass-light version is an extremely difficult headphone to drive well. That alone could account for differences in preference, even with people comparing both side by side.

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 18
I currently prefer the bassy version since I have the Yamamoto-HA02 in my (dynamic) home rig, which it works well with.

The bass-light version in comparison sounds unfocused, unrefined and tonally unbalanced. The treble is better defined and purer but that's it. Even sticking it into the Extreme with 12AY7 or 6BK7 doesn't really cure that.

I'm awaiting a maxed out Supra XLR as I've been told that balancing the bass-light version will improve bass and hopefully this will help me make a comparison in favour of the bass light pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back