Which Preamp or Amp required with ESI Juli@ to increase bass?
Sep 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stuge(original)

100+ Head-Fier
Well My question is quite clear ,I want to know If I buy Preamp or Amp ,which should I get for ESI Juli@ i.e to increase bass ?Do I need Preamp or Amplifier to increase bass?

Pl forgive me me if you think this is a dumb question

Thanks for answering !
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 11
I have DT770 pro 80 ohm.I found that bass was quite strong with onboard sound card ,but its quite weak with Juli@.I have a feeling that Juli@ requires preamp and Amp .

Right now I don't own any of such thing .So this a newbie query
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 11
I think what you're looking for, is a headphone amplifier

you might consider something like the Firestone Cute Beyond or Creek OBH-11 as an inexpensive introduction to headphone amps

if you've got the cash, I highly suggest the CI Audio VHP-2/VAC-1 combo, also suggest the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 (V8 is supposed to be even better), and possibly the X-PSU (and now we've gone to about $1000 US flat, lol)

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes,you are spot on ,but the problem is I'm not able to find portable amplifiers for headphones here in India .(and can't buy from abroad )

in b.w what is the basic difference b/w Preamp and Amplifiers ? aren't amplifiers enough or do I need preamp, as I guess amps doesn't have headphone jack .

Somebody here was recommending me amplifiers from this company Welcome to Studiomaster..

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 11
An amplifier, or more properly, power amplifier, applies gain to a signal, a preamplifier, or control amplifier, applies tone control, input selection, and volume adjustment to a signal

You don't need anything that elaborate for headphones, as you don't need to provide tens to hundreds of watts (honestly you dont even need a full watt)

none of the amplifiers I suggested are portable, at least whats considered a portable headphone amplifier (granted I can sneak my CI setup in a carry on quite easily, but it isn't portable, it requires 110VAC from the wall and some space to sit)

if a headphone amplifier is impossible, look at receivers or integrated amplifiers, from reputable hi-fi manufacturers, such as Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, harman/kardon, Technics, NAD, Linn, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, and similar, although a true headphone amplifier would perform better

you might look at companies centered more in the asian corner, and not the US/UK, maybe companies like AudioTrak, Firestone, AudioTechnica, and so on are more available to you? (all three produce some excellent little headamps)

I've really got no ideas as far as whats available, I'd say if you've got a dealer you're used to working with, see what they're willing/able to order, and maybe you end up with some odd japanese equipment we haven't seen on head-fi, lol

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 11
I went to Cambridge audio showroom today to test 340A ,unfortunately they 340A was out of stock and I might have to wait for at least 20-30 days before I can even test them .Though I did get a chance to listen music using 640C amp and its was quite nice I also saw CA sells Cd player to match the amp not sure whether I will buy it now or not ,but may be in future If I get their amp .

I have asked the sales man if he can allow me to listen music using my headphones and he agreed .So I might go again if I find time .

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 11
i have the 340A but i wouldn't recommend it to amp your headphones, seriously the mini^3 is better...not sure how true this is but some people say it's just the sound stage going to the speakers then being resisted back down when a relay flips as headphones are plugged in. what you are after is anything which delivers a higher damping factor, the op-amps on a sound card are designed to deliver a clean signal where what you need is something designed to drive headphones (have more dynamic control of the mini speakers inside headphones) usually achieved by a higher cleaner current and a lower output resistance.

-Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back