Which PPA to Build ???
Jun 13, 2005 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SonOfShrink

New Head-Fier
I have Sennheiser HD-600s and a Sony CDP-X777ES CD player and also a Sony MiniDisc player.

I have a PPA V1.0 PCB (and also the battery board PCB )with the opamps and Alps "Blue velvet" volume control from Tangent's store.

Should I build the PPA V1.0 with buffers, or would I be better off to buy a PPA V2 board and build that ?

Could I use the diamond buffer board being sold in this forum for my PPA V1, or am I wasting my time ?

Any advice welcome.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 7
well if you can still get some diamond buffers, you may as well use what you already have!

click the link in my sig also!

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 7
as far as i know, glassman has still some of his diamond buffers on stock. they should be cheaper than the intersil-buffers, too. on the other hand, from what i've heard, building the ppa v2 could save you a few bucks in comparison to the ppa v1 + gm 2nd gen buffers.
there are only a few members who own both (v1 & gm 2nd gen buffers, v2), but i'm not aware of any reports on the superiority of one of them over the other. so i'd recommend to let your wallet decide.

Jun 13, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 7
ask ppl himself, he now has all the buffers and likes mine 2nd gen a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
mine are closer in design and sound to the Dynobias Triad than to the original Triad, which is the one used in PPAv2.. one thing I can tell you is - don't invest in Intersil buffers, it's the worst thing you can do now..

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Since you already have the v1 board, you're better off using it and the Glassman buffers. I just put them into my ppa v1.1, and I'm very happy with them.

The only problem I see is that tangents ppa site is more geared toward the 1.1 board. You might want to read through it and see if you can find the differences in the parts list and the assembly instructions.

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 7
the differences are mild and if you opt for AD744 opamps connected using their COMP pins as is described in my buffer thread, you will pretty much eliminate the difference.. the whole Class A biasing circuit would be skipped and thats probably the main difference between 1.0 and 1.1 anyway..

here is the AD744 comp pin guide..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back