Which Portable or Desktop DAC / AMP do you recommend for $ 100-150?
Aug 17, 2020 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Galeonero

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I've been looking for a good DAC / AMP to listen to music and sometimes watch movies.
I currently have a FiiO FA1 and Sony Mdr 1aap.
My interest is to use it with these headphones and some speakers for the notebook, as for the sound I would like it to be a little more detailed than the Shanling UP2 I felt that it was not different enough from a smartphone to justify its cost.

I have many options in mind:
-FiiO K3
-FiiO K5 PRO
-iFi Zen DAC
-Sound Blastex G6 or G5, this is the one that most caught my attention because it can be used with the PS4 via USB, but I don't know if it's really good or it's marketing from the gaming world

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 11
I would look at the ifi hip DAC since it has a proper amp stage. Or if you wanna go with a wireless DAC/amp, there's always the ES100.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 11
I would look at the ifi hip DAC since it has a proper amp stage. Or if you wanna go with a wireless DAC/amp, there's always the ES100.
I did not like the experience with the shanling up2 very much, which was bluetooh because of the connection it had, it was not 100% good, it used to have interference, compression and being something very small does not leave me comfortable where to take it, although my main idea would be at home quiet then it doesn't matter if it's bigger

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 11
I did not like the experience with the shanling up2 very much, which was bluetooh because of the connection it had, it was not 100% good, it used to have interference, compression and being something very small does not leave me comfortable where to take it, although my main idea would be at home quiet then it doesn't matter if it's bigger
Well for a wireless device, the sound is excellent and it does USB audio as well. But since that's not really your thing, I'd definitely look at the ifi zen or hip DAC. The hip DAC has the same form factor of some of your FiiO picks, and the zen is more a dedicated desktop device.

And fwiw, if I was looking at any FiiO device in that price range, I'd look at the BTR5 or Q1. I know the BTR5 is smallish, but sometimes it's worth it to get the best sounding device you can afford, even if it has some features you don't need. You'll just end up enjoying it more in the long run. But if not, the Q1 seems to be best device in that k3/hip DAC form factor.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd add schitt fulla and Hel to your list as well but the Zen DAC is a beast for a cheap DAC/amp.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 11
IDK if it's better but the Zen DAC has been tried and tested much longer.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Tbh, I've not owned a lot of FiiO gear. They make some good IEMs and DAC/amps but if I want portable, I'm going with something like the ES100. And for desktop, my rig needs to drive high impedance headphones.

One thing to note about input and output variety: Just because it's there as a feature doesn't mean the electronics really do a great job of supporting them. Especially at the lower price range. If you think you'll be using all USB, coaxial and optical inputs, then you should probably save up for a schiit stack or some equivalent. You'll get more consistency and higher quality sound that way.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Tbh, I've not owned a lot of FiiO gear. They make some good IEMs and DAC/amps but if I want portable, I'm going with something like the ES100. And for desktop, my rig needs to drive high impedance headphones.

One thing to note about input and output variety: Just because it's there as a feature doesn't mean the electronics really do a great job of supporting them. Especially at the lower price range. If you think you'll be using all USB, coaxial and optical inputs, then you should probably save up for a schiit stack or some equivalent. You'll get more consistency and higher quality sound that way.
My idea is to do it with the notebook by USB and use headphones, a pair of speakers. Although I really liked the idea of the Sound Blasterx G6 for using it with PS4.
But since I don't know if it sounds really good to listen to music or is something to only play, then I will see a couple of reviews. The safe option is the iFi Zen DAC.

The ES100 looks good but how much difference can there be against the Shanling UP2? They use the same DAC, I'm talking about the first version, the MK2 I have no idea. I liked the sound of the UP2 but I don't like being aware of charging it all the time and at that time I used it because I had a phone without 3.5mm and now I have 3.5mm so I don't see a reason to buy it. And the truth is that I did not feel an overwhelming difference against the smartphone as many said and that it did not have a smartphone dedicated to sound. The sound seemed the same to me as the Hidizs Sonata HD V2 that costs 20-25 dollars, that is, they are 70-75 more for bluetooth and it is not something I am looking for at the moment.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 11
My idea is to do it with the notebook by USB and use headphones, a pair of speakers. Although I really liked the idea of the Sound Blasterx G6 for using it with PS4.
But since I don't know if it sounds really good to listen to music or is something to only play, then I will see a couple of reviews. The safe option is the iFi Zen DAC.

The ES100 looks good but how much difference can there be against the Shanling UP2? They use the same DAC, I'm talking about the first version, the MK2 I have no idea. I liked the sound of the UP2 but I don't like being aware of charging it all the time and at that time I used it because I had a phone without 3.5mm and now I have 3.5mm so I don't see a reason to buy it. And the truth is that I did not feel an overwhelming difference against the smartphone as many said and that it did not have a smartphone dedicated to sound. The sound seemed the same to me as the Hidizs Sonata HD V2 that costs 20-25 dollars, that is, they are 70-75 more for bluetooth and it is not something I am looking for at the moment.
Well if this has any bearing on the ES100 mk2 I was driving my LCDXs/Aeon RTs last night balanced and man did they sing. I have to admit it was lacking power for the bass that Audeze is known for.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 11
I would go with the ifi hip dac or zen dac if portability doesn't really matter. If it has to have bluetooth i would go with ES100 MKII or FiiO BTR5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back