Which portable has the best sound quality?
Feb 10, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Quick question. In terms of sound quality, is iPod with lossless format the best portable solution?

I have a PC. I remember hearing something about linking up iPod to PCs, like there are certain things you cannot do with the PC version. Can I transfer music using lossless format to iPod using my PC?

Does it take a long time to upload songs from my CDs to iPod?

Sorry for all the basic questions. I've just got a new assignment to go to London for few weeks, and I figure something like an iPod would come in handy.....

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 28
The "best" portable solution is the iRiver iHP120/40 (or H120/40), using the optical out to a DAC, which then goes into an amp etc. With the iPod, the best sound quality is generally thought to come from using a line-out adapter to an amp. The line-out adapter most recommended is the TurboDock, although I have personal reasons to not buy that. There is also the PocketDock and the Sik (ram) din.

You can transfer lossless music to the iPod using a PC (not much other way to get music onto it). It must be in ALAC form (WAV doesn't count).

It takes a while to rip a CD to ALAC. The transfer of ALAC to an iPod is supposed to be quite fast.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 28
For the line out, Sendstation Pocketdock or TURBO dock or SIK DIN. We only have these 3 choices? this sux that there are so few choices IMO and cost way too much also but oh well.

Question: would one be "better" connectivity wise?

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 10, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus Bocephust
For the line out, Sendstation Pocketdock or TURBO dock or SIK DIN. We only have these 3 choices? this sux that there are so few choices IMO and cost way too much also but oh well.

Question: would one be "better" connectivity wise?

Cletus

Yes but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference

try the iMod from RedWineAudio, best option for iPod unless you DIY something better than iMod

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Hi guys,

Quick question. In terms of sound quality, is iPod with lossless format the best portable solution?

I have a PC. I remember hearing something about linking up iPod to PCs, like there are certain things you cannot do with the PC version. Can I transfer music using lossless format to iPod using my PC?

Does it take a long time to upload songs from my CDs to iPod?

Sorry for all the basic questions. I've just got a new assignment to go to London for few weeks, and I figure something like an iPod would come in handy.....

Let's get back to answering this man's question, shall we people? I can say that in terms of SQ alone, I still vote for the IAudio X5. Overall, the ipod is better for music simply b/c it's navigation is far superior to the X5's...

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Let's get back to answering this man's question, shall we people? I can say that in terms of SQ alone, I still vote for the IAudio X5. Overall, the ipod is better for music simply b/c it's navigation is far superior to the X5's...

For SQ its kind of hard to answer this really unless you have like 10 main DAP's and I am not talking just for a quick listen. Otherwise your just talking out yer a*s and its just hearsay eh?! Everyone has an opinion. Your right about the navagation and software development, Apple does have some history these and thus an advantage. I sure wish I could try out the X5 WO having to shell out hundreds of $$$ to demo it.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 10, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 28
Bangraman took care to match the volumes on 5G and X5 and had problems discerning any difference, using Qualia and R10 (IIRC). So I'm inclined to think that many reports of differing sound quality are based on louder = better.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus Bocephust
For SQ its kind of hard to answer this really unless you have like 10 main DAP's and I am not talking just for a quick listen. Otherwise your just talking out yer a*s and its just hearsay eh?! Everyone has an opinion. Your right about the navagation and software development, Apple does have some history these and thus an advantage. I sure wish I could try out the X5 WO having to shell out hundreds of $$$ to demo it.

I've owned 3 of the 5 generations of the iPod, so I guess that means I'm talking out of my mouth instead of my ass. Now maybe iPod fanboy here needs to justify his purchase of an iPod, but I've tried many of these little fandagled units (Rio, iRiver, Creative, Apple, iAudio) and I can tell you that for good, tunable SQ, available features as well as diversity in format support, few on the market currently beat the X5. Admittedly, it's navigation is ass-ish, but I've already mentioned that.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 28
double post...

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 28
If you have a a good DAC, then go with the iRiver H120 or H140
iRiver -> AOS Piccolo(decent DAC, not "amazing") -> Max PPAv2
would be a very good. I just happen to have that DAC and Amp in the same portable package
k1000smile.gif

If you don't have a good dac, go with 60GB iPod "Photo" + Red Wine Audio iMod

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Bangraman took care to match the volumes on 5G and X5 and had problems discerning any difference, using Qualia and R10 (IIRC). So I'm inclined to think that many reports of differing sound quality are based on louder = better.

Something's a little funny here... because *one guy* failed to hear a difference, you tend to doubt the many?
confused.gif

I'd be much more inclined to think Bangraman may have tin ears when it comes to hearing source differences. So what about the volume matching, I assume he was rapidly A/B'ing which IMO is a poor way to pick up on (other than huge/blatantly obvious) differences anyway.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 28
M-Audio Microtrack with its 24 bit 96khz playback, surely?

below that, all my players
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Something's a little funny here... because *one guy* failed to hear a difference, you tend to doubt the many?
confused.gif

I'd be much more inclined to think Bangraman may have tin ears when it comes to hearing source differences. So what about the volume matching, I assume he was rapidly A/B'ing which IMO is a poor way to pick up on (other than huge/blatantly obvious) differences anyway.

If I should have tin ears, isn't it odd that my opinions for phones should mesh with many other members here who have decent reps in that case? Anyway, I have at least listened to (actually, usually owned) what I disparage instead of making erroneous assumptions like you do. And I've explained my testing methodology many times. It's not an A-B-A-B-A switch.

Getting back on topic:

I think the problem with finding 'the best sounding' now is that many of the manufacturers have sort of settled on a uniformly acceptable engine (and this uniform figure does represent an improvement on, or at the very least matches what came before) and although sound quality isn't perhaps as good as some of the better sources of say a year or two ago, the products are much more mature. They're more usable, more usefully featured, more stable, etc. Everything is starting to sound like a two-year-old iRiver, which was kind of the most stable in terms of compatibility and the median in terms of quality.

I've heard nothing over the last six months which really jumps out at me, and that includes the 5G iPod which is only notable in that they have stabilised the performance aspects that were lacking with previous ones. The new Sony has maintained a stable performance with a wide range of phones and I think that it's (coarse-control) 6-band EQ probably has the least impact on SQ, but bearing in mind it's functional oddities IMO it's not worth choosing. I STILL don't have the Zen Vision M. I should switch my order to someone who has them in stock maybe.

I think perhaps more opinions on the Kenwood may be needed. It may or may not be any better, but it is definitely different in how it implements the headphone amp. I'm not sure if I'm going to Japan this year, might do in May, but if I do I'll probably have a look at what's on offer. I don't have sufficient curiousity to import right now.

I'd say an older iPod amped would be your best bet if SQ is all you're after. The JB3 may be slightly better IMO, but some people do say that it sounds flat (I'm not 100% certain how to counter that except to say that it is supposed to sound flat
tongue.gif
... although another round of comparisons is in the works). In all cases though compared to today's players, you'll be making some sacrifices in terms of practicality. Similarly a DACed iRiver H1xx series is a good bet for decent sound quality, although I was never too sure about the integrity of the output of the optical port... especially as sometimes the same company's CD players seemed to make better optical hosts. But once again you have problems of practicality, not to mention portability.

Any of the current batch of the better-regarded players when amped (regardless of whether you have to get around certain problems, like using the X5's headphone port instead of the subpack line-out) gives very decent results. I'd suggest picking something of now, amping it if SQ is an issue and compromising on the last % of SQ for better usability.

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
confused.gif

I can't speak for anyone else... but Bangraman's test results count as like 50 to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back