Which Portable Amp to Buy?
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 23
The Practical Devices XM5 with BUF634 buffers added on has enough power to drive my Senn HD600s well - the bass is there. When I tested my XM5 without the BUF634s the bass was weak.

I'm not an expert by any means so I don't know how the sound signature compares to your Woo Audio amp.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 23
I'll highly recommend a Pico or AE2. They drive the heck out of HD650s.

I own the AE-2 and have actual measurements showing it drives the 650s nearly as well as my GS-X which is all I can ask for. It's my understanding that they are very similar though not exactly the same amp wise.

The pico also thows in an AMAZING DAC by all reviews that I have read of the DAC. There are many that actually own the Pico just to have the DAC for their home systems.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll highly recommend a Pico or AE2. They drive the heck out of HD650s.

I own the AE-2 and have actual measurements showing it drives the 650s nearly as well as my GS-X which is all I can ask for. It's my understanding that they are very similar though not exactly the same amp wise.

The pico also thows in an AMAZING DAC by all reviews that I have read of the DAC. There are many that actually own the Pico just to have the DAC for their home systems.

I used to own an AE-2 and it sounded great with anything I plugged into it...I wished I didn't have to sell it but that was needed to fund a Pico. Both have extremely high build quality...it just doesn't get any better.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 23
doesnt get any better huh. well maybe not in an amp/dac (until the iqube 2 probably) but for amp only portables the lisa III really doesnt have any competition IMO. plus if you add an LLP for home use you can have the best of both worlds. a portable/transportable amp with the swing to drive fullsize headphones to not just very loud levels but actually drive them properly. just because a portable is able to drive something loud, does not mean that it is driving it properly. I see people making this assumption on here all the time and its just not the case. So it can do all that portable abnd then at home with the LLP you have a high class dedicated power supply p-roviding clean power to burn so it can be a home amp as well. I have heard a few RSA amps and I do like the SR71 I havent heard the SR71A or mustang. so I cant comment there. but I severely doubt they have the power needed to do a 'proper' job. loud maybe, proper no. this is all to my ears of course. the lisa III has been on top of both HA and skylabs scoreboards for ages now and thats a good feat considering it is really a transportable and definitely not tiny. its also on the pricey side comp[ared to most portables, but there is a reason for that. buy a lisa III standard for $600 or maybe get the LLP too IMO phils amps are in a class of their own. I have a pico too for when I just need something small that sounds great, but for serious listening as soon as my new one arrives it will be tethered to my ears

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but for serious listening as soon as my new one arrives it will be tethered to my ears

Allow me to clarify, I was referring to build quality(appearance/fit/finish).Do you feel that your Lisa III beats the Pico in this regard? These 2 amps can't really be compared because of the size difference. I have no doubt that the Lisa III is excellent based on qualified reviews. This is all IMO.

What will your "new one" be?

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kon-Masti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to sound n00bie, but, what's a LLP?

LLP stands for Lisa Lab Power. It is the optional 24 volt power supply($350) that can be used with Lisa III($600) or Lisa III XP($675).

Lisa-III-Standard-with-Lisa.png

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allow me to clarify, I was referring to build quality(appearance/fit/finish).Do you feel that your Lisa III beats the Pico in this regard? These 2 amps can't really be compared because of the size difference. I have no doubt that the Lisa III is excellent based on qualified reviews. This is all IMO.

What will your "new one" be?

lisa III standard in black with LLP power supply. and actually yeah the new model lisa
's are at least as good looking as the pico. and if you like you can get a woodie. you can get a woody standard as well. but I like to do a lot of portable listening with my portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif
so I wanted something a bit more rugged. the new black with silver face-plates is very sexy. and the size really makes no difference to me. my VCAP dock means my top rig doent fit in a pocket anyway, so adding a lisa III standard really just gives my VCAP dock a better platform to sit on top of (the dock dwarves the pico)

DSC07349.gif

and this is what I nearly got and still thinking of getting the extra faceplates so I can change her appearance if the mood takes me LOL
DSC07328.jpg

I cant wait. I just checked the USPS track and confirm and its in the country; wont be long now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back