Which Portable Amp to Buy?
Dec 31, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Kahuna

100+ Head-Fier
At face value, the 'Title' to my thread has certainly been beaten to DEATH! If you will bear with me a little, I will express MY little caveat...

I presently own a WOO AUDIO 6 Tube amplifier that I find I am not using at all. (My plan is to put it up for sale here very soon).

I want to replace it with a portable amp which I have determined I will use extensively. The IEM's that I will be using them with are Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro.

Here is my concern: I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD650's that I wish to properly drive with the new portable amp with the funds I receive for the sale of the WA6.

I would assume that I am talking apples and oranges here (between the WA6 vs. a good portable) but I would still appreciate your suggestions an which portable to consider. (I understand that the sound signature would not be the same between the WA6 vs. the portable also). Any suggestions?!? T.I.A. Mike
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 23
I suppose I am an RSA fanboi, but here goes.

If I had to choose ONE of my amps, and forego the rest, I would choose the Predator, as it is great as a portable amp, but has the DAC, which really makes for a nice sound in a laptop/computer situation. There are of course other products, and champions of same which would work great as well, Pico, and the like. All you want to read for the next week if you want to compare this category.

Best sounding portable probably is the SR-71, which I don't own. Its not the smallest, nor the least expensive. Bigger power-supply with 2x 9 volt batteries, and bigger caps make for better sound. You would have to look at reviews of this amp with the various headphones you want to use. Lisa III, and the Portable Millet at TTJV would also fall in this category.

There are a number of other amps, with gain switches, and various size/battery options which would handle the gamut from IEM to HD650s. The Hornet I own does a pretty good job at this, but not as well as the main gear like my Raptor.

Sorry for the rambling, but I was trying to get you to decide what part of moving to a portable amp is important to you, then you can choose your budget and investigate accordingly.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is my concern: I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD650's that I wish to properly drive with the new portable amp...

Here's where 10 people go back and forth at each other debating on the topic of whether a portable amp can drive full size cans.

Oh boy! you've started another cage match.
evil_smiley.gif

I would look at the reviewed amps by Rob, Larry,etc. and pick one at the top. I'm sure you've already planned to spend $400~$500.

Good Luck.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you've already planned to spend $400~$500.

Good Luck.

$500~600 is certainly in the budget.
wink_face.gif
I am also considering a 'stand alone' DAC for use with my laptop and desk computer. (Suggestions welcome!)

I have also considered the SR-71A but didn't want to bias the thread in that direction.

Thanks for all the responses so far! (Keep 'em coming).

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 23
I just posted a thread that we had this conversation. You should really read that one first.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 23
Jan 1, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 23
I am new to higher end audio equipment and I just purchased a pair of Shure SE530's. I will be using them to connect to my Ipod. Will a portable amp make a world of difference with the quality of the sound. If so what type of amp would be best suited for these earphones. I would like to keep it under 200 but if there is an amp in the 200 to 300 range that would be exponentially better then I might take a look at it.

Thanks in advance

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 23
Listen, if you are lucky, you should find the RSA SR-71a and be done with it. But it will require some luck as it is already sold out a month ago. The Lisa III is good but it is no portable amp (think of it as a brick). If it is only to drive iem, then get the Mustang P-51, it is very involving and fun and extremely small. But not as full when driving HD650. I have listen to and own all the amps above. Both SR-71a and P51 will sound a little better than the Predator, but if you want DAC, your only choice are Predator and Pico.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 23
If you were gonna consider the Mustang versus the 71a to drive full size cans, I would definitely call Ray on the phone and talk to him before pulling the trigger
wink.gif
I really don't see the Mustang swinging the voltage of the 71a.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's where 10 people go back and forth at each other debating on the topic of whether a portable amp can drive full size cans.

Oh boy! you've started another cage match.
evil_smiley.gif

I would look at the reviewed amps by Rob, Larry,etc. and pick one at the top. I'm sure you've already planned to spend $400~$500.

Good Luck.

Yup.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 23
I've heard there may be something small and with a lot of power out by the next new year / holiday season.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 23
Ok, that was Ray. Ray told me that. He didn't say I couldn't share it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back