Which portable amp for SE530?
Jul 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

deadfolk

New Head-Fier
Title says it all, really.

At the moment, I'm torn between the Pico and Predator (obviously). I'm not looking to start another religious war, but I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on which amp works with the SE530s and why.

I'm not looking for "XXX sucks and YYY is teh best", but more like opinions on what effect each has on the sound of the SE530...the characteristics of the sound, if you will.

For reference, my portable source is a Cowon D2...and I'll also be making use of the DAC while at work.

Thanks for any input.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 10
With my SE530 custom shell IEM I find the Pico can occasionally bring out more sibilance than my Predator. Also, the mids are richer with the Predator. Bass is fairly similar with good control. They are both good amps with the SE530 customs, but I liked the Predator more with them.

I did some amp vs IEM synergy stuff a couple of weeks ago here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 10
That is an interesting observation. By 'sibilance', are you referring to the harsh sound one sometimes hears when pronouncing the letter 'S'? This is something I tend to notice a lot even now, and it can bug me once I start to notice it.

I'll be sure to check out that post - thank you.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadfolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an interesting observation. By 'sibilance', are you referring to the harsh sound one sometimes hears when pronouncing the letter 'S'? This is something I tend to notice a lot even now, and it can bug me once I start to notice it.

I'll be sure to check out that post - thank you.

Yesssss.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesssss.

Haha! Good one

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Lol!

Thank you for the advice and your excellent review. I think the Predator may be better suited to my needs - especially considering the lead time on the Pico. I am not sure I will still be able to afford it by the time my name comes up.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Don't forget the Meier 2Move. I like it better than my SR-71 with my SE530s.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Look in my profile for links to all my reviews. I did one on SEVEN USB DAC amps and that included the 2MOVE, but I didn't have it on hand for my IEM synergy review because it was a loaner for the March review from Skylab.

I am also currently burning-in an iBasso D2 Boa (2 hours on it so far) and will add it to the SEVEN USB DAC AMPS review after about 2 weeks of burn-in. I might try it with the SE530 customs shortly, but the amp is too fresh (although it actually sounds very good with my Grado RS-1 right now).

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, the Tomahawk I had previously did have VERY good synergy with the SE530, it just wasn't tuned to sound as great with everything else. It made my Super.fi 5 Pro and Denon C700 sound very edgy and rough, but the SE530 sang like angels with the TH. I found the Predator to be so versatile that I sold the Tomahawk after the Predator was done burning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back