Which portable amp for 1000HE (e3? e5? Nuforce?
Jun 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

you2

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased an asus netbook 1000HE which has a fairly weak sound system.

I've never used an explicit amp before and am looking for something to boost the sound in my rather cheap headphones (the headphones I used with the laptop is koss ur-19 or similar - I use hd555 for stuff at home).

(I.,e for travel I use a cheap low amp headphone that I don't mind breaking or loosing).

-

Anyways the sound is very soft on this netbook so I'm mostly looking for 2x or 3x increase in volume - for watching movies, voice communication and I similar while on travel.
--
I have a moderate hearing loss so clarity is somewhat important.
--
I've no real understanding of the difference in output between E3, E5 Danelector E15 and more expensive models such as NuForce Icon and headroom total airhead or fireeye 1).
--
I mentioned the background to try to give a scope of what I'm looking for - basically something that will amplified the sound without adding a lot of hiss or distortion and will work with low amp headphones.
--
These headphones (as well has HD555 and AT700) work well without an amp on normal desktop. Yes the HD555 sound much better than the koss ur19 (and better than the AT700) but the koss is fine if I'm listening to a conference on line- just too soft with the new netbook).
---
Sorry for so much text with such a simple question - just wanted to try provide an accurate description. The E5 sounds like it has less distortion than the E3 but it is not clear to me if it produces a lot of hiss with low imp headphone and/or if the E3 is adequate or if I should spring for one of the more expensive models
smily_headphones1.gif

--
I've done a bit of reading but really unsure if I should go with something like ibasso D2, fiio E3, fiio E5, total bithead, ...). There seems to be a huge difference in price ($7 to $400). From the el cheapo headphone i'm not really looking for audiophobia quality - just clarity and increase in volume than provided by the netbook.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 3
How's your netbook's hiss/electronic noise? If you amp from a headphone out jack, you will also amp all that garbage noise, so you might want to consider a DAC/amp combo.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by eccdbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's your netbook's hiss/electronic noise? If you amp from a headphone out jack, you will also amp all that garbage noise, so you might want to consider a DAC/amp combo.

Currently it doesnt' have a problem with hiss/noise. It just isn't very loud with max volume. While my hearing is less than perfect this 'softness' is well reported characteristic with of the 1000HE. Basically I want something that makes it a little louder.

I don't mind spending $100 or $150 if that is what it takes but if $8 E3 will do the job then I why not save a few $$$.

From reading the threads here and else where the reviews on the E3 (and E5 seemed mixed). What i can't tell is does it really add a lot of hiss/static/distortion or is it just not quite up to the job when compared with $500 amps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back