which portable amp can drive DT99/600ohm ?
Nov 23, 2009 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zentiao

New Head-Fier
I think it must be a pretty big one. I believe that Lisa can do it for sure. But what about others,.. 3move, SR-17, little dot mark vii....they have bigger battery, so I guess they might be OK? how about ALO Rx?

many amps can drive the DT990/600 with some sound out of it, but SQ must not be even acceptable I guess.

Thanks.
beyersmile.png

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 5
The sound should be acceptable. I don't have the 600 ohm beyer, but had the 250 version and from anecdotal evidence, the 600 ohm, while quieter from any amp, doesn't take that much more juice. The 250 ohm dt880 sounded fab straight from an iPod 3g Nano, but sounded better from a Heed Canamp and a Meier Opera. Amps make a big difference, but they only help a good sounding headphone sound better. The DT990 should sound fine from any of the amps you listed, particularly the Rx and SR-17 and maybe even the move.

I have the Rx and my 600 OHM DT880 should be arriving in the next few weeks, so I can help you out a bit. cheers

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks shigzeo, I have my 990/600 arriving in few days, but not sure if I can use a portable amp to drive in the lab where I am working at, I know 990/600 is designed for home system or monitor system usage though. I am really interested in how Rx performs, it looks tinier circuit board than almost any portable amp but with huge dual batteries, I wonder how the SQ other than power level, I believe it can drive any cans in the world.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 5
The correct answer - is NO for any portable. Yes, I still have my dt990/600. Bought them near the beginning of Beyer Manufaktur page. Many times I have turned the volume knob up to 2:30 on my Corda Prehead MkII, and now enjoy them more with Ming Da 84C07 w/NOS tubes. They need almost as much juice as k340 (my alt. use for the Ming Da).
My feelings about dt990/600 is they are a bargain choice in the marketplace - great quality for the price, but require proper amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back