Which portable among these?
Feb 24, 2005 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Skorpio

New Head-Fier
So, after I decided to order the Ety 4P with conversion cable, it is time to choose a portable amp.

I want to use it with my Archos JBM and a PCDP Panasonic (with unamped out line). I listen these kind of music: classical, techno/dance/ambient, jazz and fusion over all
eggosmile.gif

Again, I read many reviews, but I still think asking directly it is the best thing!

So, looking at my budget, here is what I found in the sticky thread:

AOS Electronics - Piccolo DAC - $270
Dr. Head - Dr. Head - 149 Swiss Francs
Headroom - Total Airhead - $200
JMT Audio - Pimeta - $150
Meier Audio - Porta Corda MkII - $225
Prelude Audio - Symphony II - $125
Rockhopper Audio - PiMETA - $190
Shellbrook Labs - Super Maxi Moy - $125-$215
============================
Z-Audio - Pimeta - $160-$350
Xin - Supermacro - $250-$350
Ray Samuels Audio - Emmeline SR-71 - $395

Now, I only found a review about Total Airhead here:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/headroom_e.html
and its price seems to fit perfectly my budget.

What is your advice about what to buy among these amp?

Is Total Airhead the best in this class of price, around 200$?

SuperMacro and SR-71 seems to be wonderful...do you think it is best to wait until I have more money and buy one of them instead of buying now...a Total AirHead (or what)???

Thank you again in advance for your answers
rs1smile.gif
!!!

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm of the opinion that it's between the Supermacro and SR-71. Obviously, I'm on record as being a big fan of Ray's work so I'd go with the SR-71. For the record, I haven't heard either but have extensive listening with the XP-7 and HR-2. Many have commented on how close the SR-71 is to the XP-7 so I feel somewhat qualified to comment on them. Since you've purchased the p-s converter, the benefit of his built in "adapter" is somewhat negated. JMO.

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 15
If you use ER4, SuperMacro will be perfect fit. The bass boost adds a lot more fun.

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
If you use ER4, SuperMacro will be perfect fit. The bass boost adds a lot more fun.

Thanks to you and to "KenW" also
smily_headphones1.gif

I know SuperMacro and SR-71 are the best among these...but they are also more expensive, obviously.

The question is: are these amp so better than the others?

Is it really better to wait and buy them when I will have some more money? I mean, I have all the time to wait, this is not the problem...

But I expect something like a "double" quality for a thing that costs 2 times another thing...I hope to explain myself (I'm italian, so I can't speak english very well)

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003

I second that.

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpio
Thanks to you and to "KenW" also
smily_headphones1.gif

I know SuperMacro and SR-71 are the best among these...but they are also more expensive, obviously.

The question is: are these amp so better than the others?

Is it really better to wait and buy them when I will have some more money? I mean, I have all the time to wait, this is not the problem...

But I expect something like a "double" quality for a thing that costs 2 times another thing...I hope to explain myself (I'm italian, so I can't speak english very well)

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

I would hold out for one of the better amps. The etys are easy to drive and sound really good unamped...so while you're saving the money for the better amp...you'll still be enjoying your music.

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 15
Another thought....at some point, an upgrade or change in the system WILL come. Just the nature of the beast IMO. When that comes, with either the supermacro or sr-71 will command great interest in the headphone communities.

One other thing to consider on the p->s cable is that if you get the supermacro and just plan on using the ety's with it, you don't need the cable. That's $45 saved right there. Food for thought.

Btw, I'd be interested in the cable if you go with the SM.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry...coulnd't resist the opportunity!!
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 15
I have the TAH and am pleased with it. It was a Xmas present from my wife so the price was right, too
etysmile.gif

I have both a Zen Touch and an iRiver and both drive the Ety ER-4P's very well...I don't think an amp is essential for them. You will probably be very pleased with them once you get used to planting them way, way into your ear canal. I asked my audiologist and he said that this would not damage the ears. If you use the TAH with the Ety's there will be a low level hiss which you might find bothersome (even with the ER-4S adapter) if you are listening in a quiet environment. Otherwise, it does improve the bass response somewhat.

I use the TAH when traveling with Sennheiser HD-650's and the sound is quite good. Hiss is inaudible. Comparing it to the Headroom Coda ($300 limited edition) the TAH has tighter (better) bass but it has less high frequency response and so it sounds a little slower and more "rounded" than the Coda. Depends on the music as to which one I prefer but always it is very musical.

The battery life is great...the TAH seems to last for weeks of use (say playing quietly most nights). Since owning it (since Xmas '04) the batteries (4 AAA's) have never run out but I have changed them twice prior to going out the door on a trip.

Finally, based on reading the advice in this forum, I also am saving up for either a Xin SuperMacro or a Ray Samuels SR-71. For the Ety's I can live without an amp and for the HD-650's a better amp is justified.

Hope this helps.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm a huge fan of HeadRoom's crossfeed implementation and think every headphone user should give it a try...

I enjoy my older model TAH with SR60s or HD580s when travelling. I've never used Etys - or any of the other amps you've mentioned.

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 15
The SuperMacro or Emmeline SR-71 are the logical choices.
But one thing that may tip the scales is SuperMacros ability to connect
to AC power for charging and home use.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Another thought....at some point, an upgrade or change in the system WILL come. Just the nature of the beast IMO. When that comes, with either the supermacro or sr-71 will command great interest in the headphone communities.

One other thing to consider on the p->s cable is that if you get the supermacro and just plan on using the ety's with it, you don't need the cable. That's $45 saved right there. Food for thought.

Btw, I'd be interested in the cable if you go with the SM.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry...coulnd't resist the opportunity!!
wink.gif

Thank you all very much for the advices in this thread!

So...both you and Turner Brown have convinced me
smily_headphones1.gif

I will live without amp thanks to P version of Ety...then when I will have more money I will buy one of those two beautiful amps
eggosmile.gif

About the cable...I do not even own the Ety, for now...I will buy them probably the next week, sorry
frown.gif

Thank you again
rs1smile.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
With the ETY4P I would strongly recommend the SuperMacro [...] The SuperMacro is also "designed" for the ETY's, so you can switch the ETY4P to an -S without the adapter-cable, as stated here earlier, and with the 4 switches option installed you can also increase bass ( a neccessity sometimes with the ETY's) and it has the CrossFeed-processor, which the SR-71 does not have.
Last, but not least, with the SuperMacro you can recharge your batteries internally, no fuss with taking the batteries out for charging!

I agree wholeheartedly! Phones: Ety 4P, Source: iRiver H340, Interconnect: CablePro Panorama (from TTVJ).

My Supermacro does NOT have a volume pot (custom job done by XIN) -- it was in the way and I don't need it anyway, because the iRiver's line out has a volume adjustment. I have the 4 switch version, and XIN customized the gain settings, too, taking into account that the input signal is not attenuated by any volume pot.

I also have the 2 buffers per channel version, and I am using the "king of opamps", the OPA 637 BP -- works fine with the adjusted gain and gives an excellent sound.

Two thumbs up for XIN and the Supermacro!!

P.S.: The Supermacro has more than enough power to drive the HD-650s -- I tried that last weekend. And the sound is very good, altough you will get better sound with a stationary amp costing several times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back