Which Player for FLAC Audio?
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dazed&Confused718

100+ Head-Fier
8GB Sansa Fuze

Or

8GB Iriver E150

Which Sounds Better?

Which can drive full size headphones better?

Do both have integrated microsd to internal memory?

Which has better battery life, gapless playback and is Faster?

Finally....which has Full Tag support for FLAC Files?

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 14
8GB won't hold many FLACs....

what about a Cowon D2+? small, 16GB + SD slot... fantastic sound quality...

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 14
I prefer my Rio Karma, 20 Gb of sweet sounding FLAC.

of the two listed.. I'd say the fuze, or perhaps a Clip+

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andhyka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing beats 5.5G 80GB Rockbox iPod playing FLAC music in 24-bit 96KHz mode recorded directly from LPs with full dynamic range not suffering from loudness war that comes in CDs.

Man, you are hardcore! You gotta love it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Nothing beats 5.5G 80GB Rockbox iPod playing FLAC music in 24-bit 96KHz mode recorded directly from LPs with full dynamic range not suffering from loudness war that comes in CDs.

Worthy link about sound of dynamic range and loudness war:
YouTube - Metallica Death Magnetic - How to lose the Loudness War

Any reason to get a 5th gen over a 5.5gen? They have the same dac.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Maybe an Imodded 5.5g 250GB hard drive modded rockboxed ipod> LisaIII playing FLAC music in 24- bit 96KHZ mode recorded directly from LPs with full dynamic range not suffering from the loudness war that afflicts modern CDs?

/smartass.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe an Imodded 5.5g 250GB hard drive modded rockboxed ipod> LisaIII playing FLAC music in 24- bit 96KHZ mode recorded directly from LPs with full dynamic range not suffering from the loudness war that afflicts modern CDs?

Umm yeah, the spec you described is a significant upgrade and certainly will sound a lot better.

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 14
Andhyka is on the money. I have a bunch of usenet recordings of FLAC from vinyl and they sound amazing on my rockboxed 5G. I really do love this player. Been debating back and forth over either modding with a high capacity compact flash or going with a monster HDD @ 240GB. I am pretty sure I will go with the latter. I love lossless I really cannot have enough space.

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 14
get the slfo 2. heard good things from about it from members here

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally mastered CDs > direct LP transfer.

With the original CD, you don't get distortion as you would with analog conversion and you get exactly the same perceivable sound(for 95% of people).

With an LP transfer, you get pops, clicks, warps, white noise, etc. even if you have excellent equipment. Personally, I can't stand artifacts in my music when listening through headphones so in that case, the LPs are beat
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Would recommend any Cowon player really. S9 is my favourite, although i9 has almost identical sound according to dfkt's graphs at abi.

Different strokes for different folks and all that but ipod sound is not my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back