Which planar magnetic?
Apr 24, 2016 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pbeg7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Im now curious at obtaining a planar headphone and I need help deciding which one.

Here is what Im looking for:

-Sub $500 CAD
-Typical planar sound: big, extending, textured bass
-Mids/highs are not as important here
-Accurate and precise imaging
-Soundstage size does not matter so much

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 18
Oppo PM-3.

Great bass and mids.
Dull, disappointing treble.
Very good imaging.
Closed-in, narrow soundstage.

It has everything you want!..

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 18
HE-400S then? It's lighter than the PM-3, if that's how you judge portability. I've no experience with planar magnetics, just putting it out there. Recently bought ZMF Classics, still waiting on them.

Edit: They aren't lighter, my bad.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 18
No, HE400S lacks bass, almost no bass whatsoever. And what little bass there is, it's one-noted. Never buy HE400S if you like bass.

To be honest at this price, Fostex TH-X00 kills any planar priced less than $1000 (including LCD-2) in terms of sound quality and bass. Maybe you should take a look at the ZMF headphones but I've no experience with them.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 18
Meh, the Fostex is probably my best bet. Ill likely just wait for more to come to market.

You can buy Purple Heart TH-X00 right now but they ship in August. Alternatively, you could wait for the upcoming TH-610 like I do. I'm disappointed with planars after trying so many of them (they all lack something or the other) and prefer dynamics. Fostex TH-610 and Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen are in my buy list.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 18
You may want to consider the Fostex TH500RP.  These are currently available for $399 at Sonic Electronix (and on ebay as well).  There is a thread on Head-Fi here with plenty of information, impressions, etc.  I have had these for about 3 months and like them very much...nice bass, and sound stage.  I find them very comfortable for long sessions...fairly light weight on the head.  They are are also in my opinion very well made with an excellent cable (but not detachable),  Definitely not a portable headphone, though.  I also have the Massdrop THX00.  They are both outstanding values and truly excellent headphones...but with different sounds. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Mind briefly describing the differences between the two?

I am really not very good at this.  To my ears the most notable difference is the amount of bass that is present.  I find the TH500RP to be more than adequate, but a comparison with the THX00 would find the latter to have a greater bass presence.  Again, keep in mind that I like the sound signature of both of these headphones.  The TH500RP has a bit wider sound stage, as well as better instrument placement.  The THX00, on the other hand, is not congested, just not quite as open sounding as the TH500RP.  I would also say that the sound of the TH500RP is smooth...nothing harsh or biting, or over the top.  Everything seems to be right where it should be.  I find both headphones to have good clarity...nothing muddy.  The THX00 has a bit more punch to it, but is by no means harsh...just not as silky smooth as the TH500RP.  (Does that make any sense?)   I tend to use the TH500RP more for small group jazz (Miles Davis 50's stuff, Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Sonny Rollins, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie) and acoustic music (Fairport Convention, Elliott Smith), and the THX00 for rock and alternative (you name it).  Although big band jazz (Ellington, Basie) sounds awfully good on the THX00, as well.  Not sure if this was helpful or not.  I have heard the T50RP MkIII and they are very good for the money, no question.  I did not have a lot of time with them so my opinion is not worth much, but I would say that the TH500RP have a bit better clarity, and wider sound stage.  Given they are fully open, you might expect this when comparing to the T50RP.  I would also add that I thought the T50RP were not terribly comfortable.  Granted, at 1/2 the price of the TH500RP you can do a lot of pad swapping and modding to perfect the sound and comfort of the T50RP, but that is a Pandora's box that I do not have any interest in opening.  Hope this helped.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 18
TH500RP is very good - have the airy highs without any shrillness - too bad that it is open backed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back