Which Pink Floyd Box Set?
Oct 26, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 11
There really arent any "real and complete" Floyd box sets (as far as I know).
there is the "Shine On" box set, which is merely a compilation of good songs-and "Pulse", which is a live album.
Would you want a box set to get into the band or to complete their discography?
Either way, id purchase each and every album, one by one.

***CORRECTION:
"Shine On" is a NINE cd set-but its an import, hard to find, and has a random collection of songs. It is their only box set; I would still stick to buying albums singularly, since there are over 20.

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I like them enough to Have all the albums but I only have disc two of the wall right now, I have no clue where it came from but I have had it a while. Should I get the SACD hybrid of dark side of the moon and start there? Will I even be able to tell a difference? Any remasters to avoid?

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Cole,
I dont know much about SACD-although I do think that the sound is superior on certain systems?
As far as Floyd goes...Dark Side was my first album (about 20 yrs. ago) and my advice on the progression from there would be (in order):
1)Dark Side of the Moon
2)Wish You Were Here
3)Animals
4)Meddle
5)The Final Cut
This is not necessarily a list from best to worst; more of IMO "most accessible and on". I dont listen to "The Wall" anymore -its way too depressing for me.
Once you have these essentials, then you can try and find theyre other earlier albums as well.
Its a religion, so take it seriously! j/k
tongue.gif

Enjoy.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
"Shine On" is a NINE cd set-but its an import, hard to find, and has a random collection of songs. It is their only box set; I would still stick to buying albums singularly, since there are over 20.

The Shine On box set contained nine complete original albums. It is now out of print.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey_Its_Cole
Should I get the SACD hybrid of dark side of the moon and start there? Will I even be able to tell a difference? Any remasters to avoid?

Dark Side of the Moon is a great place to start. Get the SACD hybrid if you plan to use it in an SACD player. Otherwise, stick with the normal version.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The Shine On box set contained nine complete original albums. It is now out of print.

Dark Side of the Moon is a great place to start. Get the SACD hybrid if you plan to use it in an SACD player. Otherwise, stick with the normal version.

I've heard complaints about the SACD version... I woul go with the original version and also pick up Animals and Wish you were Here

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
There's just one way... get all Pink Floyd albums.

Well at least after Ummagumma it's just sweet sounds to my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Almost every Pink Floyd album is incredible and different in its own way.

If it were me, I'd just go in order from release date. Start with the earliest and work your way to the most recent releases. Start with "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and see how Floyd evolved in their later years. Pink Floyd is completely album-driven, and one cannot experience Floyd without hearing the entire album. And since each album is so radically different, it is best just to hear it all.

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 11
I picked up "Darkside of The Moon" and "Sultans of Swing" The very best of Dire Straits as I lost that cd a few years ago I think when I was learning it on guitar at 15 or 16 but who knows. I forgot how much I love Mark Nophler. I Had a 20 dollar rewards zone coupon so I figured why not. My M3 came in today to go with my SA5000s, it is like christmas allready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back