Which phono pre-amp?
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Poor

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've recently bought a new Pro-ject Carbon debut and a craigslist Beogram RX-2 w/ the MMC3 cartridge.  I'm now looking to get a new preamp and I've narrowed my list to the poll items...  which do you feel would be the best bang for my buck?  Any thoughts from personal experience would be appreciated!

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey Poor. Congrats on your new purchase. I have also recently got my Project Carbon Record player. Here is my list of what I purchased (first time buyer of an LP player):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750575/selecting-your-first-turntable-setup-get-the-biggest-bang-for-your-buck-keep-it-under-2000

The phono-preamp I ended up with was the Project mk II.  It has performed very well with Carbon and my setup. I am actually quite impressed with the overall sound quality and value for $ on my setup. I can give you more impressions if you are interested.

Good luck.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks sfo!  So you recommend the mk II?  The comparable thing currently seems to be the Phono Box S for $199.  You would recommend that over the schiit mani?

Looking at your thread, you mentioned ground hum, cartridge hum, and lack of bass.  Those seem like pretty big deal breakers... were these from the preamp?

It seems like the Mani has the current vote... but saying Schiit has an enthusiastic fan base on HF may be an understatement. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back