Which phones will better match my gear?
Nov 5, 2004 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,
A common theme on this forum is "match new gear to yoru current rig." Well I want to upgrade headphones from the Senn HD590. I want to stay with Senn, it's just a matter of whether I get the 600 or 650. Money isn't really a worry since I can get them both for what I think is a reasonable price. It's mainly about the sound I get from them. As far as sound is concerned, I don't like big coloration or huge bumps in the response. I've read that the 600's have a mid to high frequency hump - the headroom graphs kind of verify this.

Anyway, here's my current gear:

Material: Lossless / CD / 256/320kbps CBR MP3s.
Soundcard: A Chaintech AV-710, which is in the mail
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundcard>Amp cable: About to buy a digital cable tonight, since I'll be using the Chaintech's digital out.
Amp: NAD T742 (picking it up this evening, woohoo! Yeah it's a 5.1 RX'er but I'm future proofing..)
(Non headphone related, but out of interest)
Amp>Speaker cabling: Some "Clearwater"? silver oxide cabling. Dunno model
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 3 v3's

Might also look at a replacement headphone cable once the wallet recovers.

So what cans do you think will suit more? I've spent about as much as humanly (and wallet-ly!) possible (for me) on the rest of the gear (altho the Chaintech I chose so I can still do some other "normal" PC related stuff without 100 adapters needed for something like the 0404)

I listen to everything from Kraftwerk to Oakenfeld to Vivaldi to Soilwork and Testament (any head bangers out there?) So far, I'm leaning towards the HD650. Any reflections from ppl with similar setups?

Thanks in advance.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back