Which phones for traveling?
Apr 22, 2004 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tbuddha

New Head-Fier
So I'm going to Hawaii, and leaving my HD650s at home. I'm looking to get a pair of "his 'n hers" headphones for the plane, then the beach.

My first inclination is to get Etymotic ER4, but throughout my life I have had problems with ear infections, and I'm afraid of starting that up all over again.

I'm going to be listening to a Panasonic pcdp through a Total Airhead. I've been thinking about the Sennheiser PX 100 or PX 200, both of which fold up. Size is obviously a consideration. I'm definitely not looking for noise canceling phones.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

(Please forgive me if this topic has been done to death, but as we all know the search function is temporarily gone.)

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 17
You want suggestions? Take a book!
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 17
I assume your "I'm not looking for noise cancleing phones" does not also apply to noise blocking phones. I would say get the Etys, they're great for trips like this. I find after a long flight with them in I feel much better becuase I'mm not suffereing from oise fatigue. After the first time I tried these I would never go back.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuddha
So I'm going to Hawaii, and leaving my HD650s at home. I'm looking to get a pair of "his 'n hers" headphones for the plane, then the beach.

My first inclination is to get Etymotic ER4, but throughout my life I have had problems with ear infections, and I'm afraid of starting that up all over again.

I'm going to be listening to a Panasonic pcdp through a Total Airhead. I've been thinking about the Sennheiser PX 100 or PX 200, both of which fold up. Size is obviously a consideration. I'm definitely not looking for noise canceling phones.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

(Please forgive me if this topic has been done to death, but as we all know the search function is temporarily gone.)

I think px200 is a good choice. I have been using it on all my business trips, it folds, and is quite easy to drive, reasonably good sound for on the road. I take it to use with my laptop+Indigo, after a year of abuse my px200 is holding up.

W

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You want suggestions? Take a book!
tongue.gif

Hey, I'm a multi-media sorta guy. I'll probably listen to tunes, read a good book, and watch a girl or two, ALL at the same time!
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuddha
and watch a girl or two, ALL at the same time!
blink.gif

I hope that second pair of headphones isn't for your wife, because if you think headphones are expensive wait till you try a divorce!
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 17
I love my Sony MDR-NC11 Noise Canceling earphones.

They sound a bit dark, but when you're on a plane as much as I am, the drowning noise of jet engine is all but gone. You can seriously hear a lot of detail in your music with these one. I don't know how they would compare in sound quality and isolation with say some Shures or Etys, but for the price audiocubes $89, it's pretty good.

FYI: never buy headphones from the airport when you have some horrible phones on your head. I got my NC11 at Brookstone at the AZ airport...needless to say I over paid...I could of gotten myself a set of Shure E3s...

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 17
Sony's MDR-NC11 are earphones, so if you fear ear infections, then they may not be the best solution for you. I just ordered some AudioTechnica ATH-FC7 folding headphones for my trip to China in June.

I'll post a review up as soon as I get them. I hope the noise isolation is pretty decent, good enough for a 12 hour flight to China!

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 17
wat do u guys think of the HD 25-SP, I've never seen them/tried them but their obviously not as small as the ones your talking about, but headroom's comments were

"Simple, durable, small, great sounding, very good seal, a great pair of headphones for the mobile individual. "

So sounds good for traveler, and you wont have any infection problems as there not in-ear : >

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 17
i feel sorta obligated to throw this in...

i know you might not be looking for canalphones, but i just want to mention the e5's so they're not left out of this thread.

on spring break i had these suckers on the plane and they rocked all the way down to florida and back to new york. i couldn't hear a thing other than my music. it was truly a remarkable and beautiful thing.

let us know what you choose to get.

p.s. i thought i would throw this in:

i had tubes in my ears as a child due to ear infections. (the doctor told me i set a record for having them in my ears longer than any other patient he's ever had.) anyway, i had lots of ear infections as a kid and i have very sensitive ears. one of the great things about the e5's is their smooth highs. they are hardly even capable of producing fatiguing sound with the TRI-FLANGE tips. these e5's cause my ears no trouble at all and i'd sometimes rather have them in my ears, than out, because of how much joy they illicit. thought that might make you think twice about in-ear phones.

enjoy hawaii buddy.

etys arriving tomorrow?

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i feel sorta obligated to throw this in...

i know you might not be looking for canalphones, but i just want to mention the e5's so they're not left out of this thread.

on spring break i had these suckers on the plane and they rocked all the way down to florida and back to new york. i couldn't hear a thing other than my music. it was truly a remarkable and beautiful thing.

let us know what you choose to get.

i had tubes in my ears as a child due to ear infections. (the doctor told me i set a record for having them in my ears longer than any other patient he's ever had.) anyway, i had lots of ear infections as a kid and i have very sensitive ears. one of the great things about the e5's is their smooth highs. they are hardly even capable of producing fatiguing sound with the TRI-FLANGE tips. these e5's cause my ears no trouble at all and i'd sometimes rather have them in my ears, than out, because of how much joy they illicit. thought that might make you think twice about in-ear phones.

enjoy hawaii buddy.

etys arriving tomorrow?

Toaster,

Wait till you A/B the E5's with the EP-4's
600smile.gif

There's a poll on the board about "Accuracy vs. Euphony".
These 2 earphones just about sum up that whole argument....

BarryT

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

enjoy hawaii buddy.

etys arriving tomorrow?

Wow, am I easy to figure out, or what???

I just placed my Ety ER-4S order. I will have them first thing next week, and after a suitable time I will report on my experience.

GPALMER - I'm sure I give my wife cause to object to my behavior frequently, but my girl watching is usually pretty discrete. As long as I keep my shades on
cool.gif
, and don't swivel my head too much, I'll be OK.......
etysmile.gif
......... I think.

Apr 24, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

i had tubes in my ears as a child due to ear infections. (the doctor told me i set a record for having them in my ears longer than any other patient he's ever had.) anyway, i had lots of ear infections as a kid and i have very sensitive ears. one of the great things about the e5's is their smooth highs. they are hardly even capable of producing fatiguing sound with the TRI-FLANGE tips.

Damn this is a creepy world we live in! I also had more middle-ear infections than my parents care to count and had ear tubes installed when I was about 4. I had them for two rounds and a total of 3 years from start to finish. The doctor apparently would pull chewing gum consistency scar tissue from behind my ear drum every few months. They were worried that I would have up to 50% deafness in both ears and potentially 25% hearing loss even WITH the tubes. I ended up being OK with 100+% hearing in both ears, but that experience has made me more aware of my ears and hearing.

What makes this a crazier world is that I also prefer the E5 to the Ety ER-4 nowadays AND was the one who lent the Etys to toaster22 for his side-by-side comparison. I echo his sentiments about the flat non-tiring response of the E5 -- I actually made the switch to the Shures in the hopes of finding a less-fatiguing canalphone that also had better bass than the 4P/S could offer. The Shures delivered on both counts. I do miss the crisp detail of the Etys every now and then, but if I had to choose only one of them to own it would have to be the Shures.

However, both might be on their way out the door in the next month is the ProPhonics 2X-S delivers the improved highs and detail that lindrone alleges. I think that those custom IEMs might just be the perfect blend of bass and detail that we canalphone junkies crave.....

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
However, both might be on their way out the door in the next month is the ProPhonics 2X-S delivers the improved highs and detail that lindrone alleges. I think that those custom IEMs might just be the perfect blend of bass and detail that we canalphone junkies crave.....

Congratulations on your purchase. At least from the freq plots of the UE-5 Pro, UE-7 Pro, UE-10 Pro, these provide all the detail (up to 16 kHz of useable frequency) plus the enhanced low end response. The Sensa 2X-S are widely accepted, but I do not have a freq plot for these. Lot of musicians use products of both companies and use their products interchangeably...so they should be very close if not the same. For playback of mastered recordings, the Etymotic ER4 is an excellent choice and stands as king, but they fail if used as an IEM.

The E5...is a very sad product...mostly unbalanced with lots of bass, but very little high end. Pew, nasty sounding overpriced junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back