Which PCI sound card that supports 88.2Khz Optical out?
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RoundRound

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm building a dedicated hifi media box and looking for a sound card tag can output 88.2/176Khz via optical out - apparently the onboard to slink on my Gigabyte Mobo doesn't do it...

Ideally I'd love to have an ASIO driver if possible. 

Thanks in advance!

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 16
Hello,
I'm building a dedicated hifi media box and looking for a sound card tag can output 88.2/176Khz via optical out - apparently the onboard to slink on my Gigabyte Mobo doesn't do it...

Ideally I'd love to have an ASIO driver if possible. 

Thanks in advance!

How much are you looking to spend? I just bought a Creative Soundblaster ZxR and I'm very pleased. It also encodes digital out.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks Mate,
it's a very expensive card (ideally I'd like to spend less than £100) and I'm still wary of Creative's drivers...

Im running windows 8.1. No hassle. I had read people have had issues but I didn't. I recently reinstalled windows aswell to get rid of all the junk I didn't need anymore. But I'm actually very pleased with it. Now with this one having the high SNR I prefer it over Dolby Headphone. I was going to get the Asus STX I believe, but I wanted to try something new instead of Dolby Headphone again. I got a little excited inside as it came :wink:

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks mate,
this looks like an overkill...

All I want is an optical out that supports 88.2 as well... I'm doing bit streaming so the card doesn't have to do anything really, no SNR or DAC comes into question... Maybe I'm over analysing this and should stick with the Onboard Audio...

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Gigabyte motherboard like all new one use realtek audio hd chipset and they are not compatible with  88 or 176 khz
for optical output they are limited to 96khz

you can try a musiland m-sword digital time if you don't need analogue output
or a audiotrack prodigy hd2

they are both compatible with what you are asking
asio + compatible with 88 / 176khz sample rate

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks Mate,
Just a correction the Real Tech chips can do 24/192 - it's just the 88.2/176 they don't... Really annoying as the spec on those chips says they can do it - it's the bloody driver that doesn't let them...
I wonder if there is some registry hack that may enable it?

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 16
you can try this first, I think
http://www.head-fi.org/t/550087/realtek-alc892-does-not-play-88-2khz-files/30

And for asio driver you can try asio4all

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 16
  Thanks mate,
this looks like an overkill...

All I want is an optical out that supports 88.2 as well... I'm doing bit streaming so the card doesn't have to do anything really, no SNR or DAC comes into question... Maybe I'm over analysing this and should stick with the Onboard Audio...

I would guess(?) if you had software that supported 88.2k and set the S/PDIF optical to bypass the sound card, you could output 88.2 thru optical, but I'm just making a big guess.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 16

I would guess(?) if you had software that supported 88.2k and set the S/PDIF optical to bypass the sound card, you could output 88.2 thru optical, but I'm just making a big guess.

Thanks Mate,
that certainly sounds interesting, how would I go about doing that? I'm using Jriver as at the player and I have to chose a driver there - the driver belongs to the card... won't let me do 88.2... etc...

Any ideas are welcome! 

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 16
  Thanks Mate,
that certainly sounds interesting, how would I go about doing that? I'm using Jriver as at the player and I have to chose a driver there - the driver belongs to the card... won't let me do 88.2... etc...

Any ideas are welcome! 

I usually like to say to try Foorbar2000 audio player, it's free software that has dozen and dozens of component add-ons.
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 16
What is the rest of the signal chain? And why do you want 88.2kHz?

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 16
It's weird that your onboard doesn't since both my laptop and desktop onboard seem to be able to.
Personally I would just downsample to 44.1 since it will sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back