Which pair of V-modas?
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

some1else

New Head-Fier
So after asking some people I narrowed my search down to V-Moda's Crossfade LP2 and XS. Since I am not much of an audiophile (don't kill me!) I'm going to explain myself in simple words. I just want detailed sound (if that makes sense) and the bass oomph. Bass shouldn't be overwhelming. I listen to mostly things like: progressive house, edm, trance, techno, dubstep etc. I understood that the LP2 are more bass-heavy, while the XS are more neutral, however that kind of makes me think that the LP2 is like the beats thing all over again. I'm really into the XS (big fan of the portability and size) but I feel like their on-ear design will reject me my wish for an amazing electronic experience at all times and places. I've also read that the LP2s probably need an amp to go with them to achieve euphoria, but I kind of doubt that. After hours of searching every day I have narrowed it down to these 2 pairs. Also I live in Europe so they cost $250, a pair, which is a bit more expensive than the States, from what I've read. The prices of both of them are supposedly sub $200. I'm going off-topic here. To sum everything up, I want headphones that provide clear sound and bass, mainly for electronic music, that I can use anywhere, at any time.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Oh also I forgot to mention that I also considered getting the Grado sr80i but I do not think they fit with the style of music I listen to and people say that there is no point to amp them up. The problem is in the bass, really.

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 6
The old V-Moda LPs have the most extreme bass boost. The LP2 have very large bass boost, but slightly less for better overall detail. The M100 has the least bass boost out of V-Moda's over-ear line at about ~5+dbish (I believe) for the best compromise of bass emphasis and clarity throughout the frequency response. 

I would strongly recommend the M100s for the best quality sound if you are looking for a bass-emphasized v-shaped sound signature that retains good clarity throughout the entire frequency response. The LP/LP2 makes too big of a sacrifice in the rest of the frequency response for me to really recommend unless you ONLY listen to bass-heavy tracks or you are on a tight budget.

These headphones are a bit overpriced for general sound quality... but if you are primarily just using them for EDM, then they are quite heavenly!! hahah. You will probably need to invest in a pair of XL earpads as well because the stock earpads only clock in at ~14mm depth which means it is too shallow for most people's ear and your ears will touch the drivers causing discomfort after long periods of usage.

I personally dislike on-ears due to comfort reasons. The M80 and XS are tuned a bit more neutral than the M100s, so for someone looking for primarily bass-boosted sound signature, they may not be the best choice.

If you are on a tight budget, you should also consider the very popularly recommended ATH-M50 or new ATH-M50x for a very nice v-shaped sound signature with strong bass and very good general sound quality.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought the XS because of the size and the fairly neutral sound signature. I am not liking the fit though. The click fold design does not allow the cups to pivot and though they have a slight angle to them, it is not enough and they end up putting too much pressure on the back part of my ear. I should also mention that the cable is rather microphonic. I do like its sound signature which is pretty neutral.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 6
So is it worth it to invest around $330 for the M100? This is going to be my first good pair of headphones and these are my criteria: portability, bass, clarity, mostly going to be used for EDM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back