Which pair of headphones to you recommend for starter?
Jul 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

verse

New Head-Fier
Greetings Head-Fi audiophiles!

Newbie here, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and I was wondering if you guys could help me find the perfect fit!

The headphones will be mostly utilized for music, and also a little bit of gaming (non-fps type, so positioning and such aren't an important factor).

1. Budget - ~200-250$. HARD CAP: 300$
  2. Source - Mixing (Macbook Air '12), Music (iPhone 5/Macbook)
  3. Preferred type of headphones - Either full-sized or on-ears, PORTABLE if possible
  4. Preferred music - A LOT of electro/house (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2SkUeLo5k), some hip-hop, some rap, a little bit of classical.
  5. Location - Canada. intl. shipping sucks :frowning2:

[size=small] I've been looking through reviews and the following headphones caught my eye:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x or ATH-AD900
  2. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm
  3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  4. Creative Aurvana Live

[/size]  
[size=small]There's a store in my city that sells the M50s and the DT770s pro 80 for 179$ each. Would it be better to order online or buy it from there?[/size]

[size=small] I also have a couple of questions if you guys don't mind:[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

1. [size=small] I'm starting to learn how to mix/make electro-house music, so would it be preferable to get closed headphones? What about isolation?[/size]
  2. [size=small] Should I bother getting an AMP if I plan on starting to produce music? If so, which one? (I've seen the FiiO E10/E11 being suggested a lot)[/size]
  3. [size=small] What are the differences between 25 ohm, 80 ohm, 250 ohm, etc.? [/size]
  4. [size=small] I also plan on learning how to DJ. For those who have experience in this domain, which mixer do you suggest for a newbie?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thank you for your time, I'll try my best to start learning about audio and become an active member of this forum![/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Cheers,[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Victor[/size]

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 12
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X looks like the best sounding headphone, from your list.
Digbuy sells it for 199.99, plus tax.

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X looks like the best sounding headphone, from your list.

Thanks for the reply! Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I hear a lot about the ATH-AD900Xs are the lack of bass, and often people say they're more oriented towards classical music. I don't know if those are 100% accurate, could you confirm it?

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the reply! Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I hear a lot about the ATH-AD900Xs are the lack of bass, and often people say they're more oriented towards classical music. I don't know if those are 100% accurate, could you confirm it?

No. They have a good bass response. They just aren't basshead headphones with lots of bass emphasis. Since you are talking about making and mixing your own music, it could be a plus to have headphones that don't overemphasize any of the frequencies. After all, studio monitors are designed for a very flat response.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
No. They have a good bass response. They just aren't basshead headphones with lots of bass emphasis. Since you are talking about making and mixing your own music, it could be a plus to have headphones that don't overemphasize any of the frequencies. After all, studio monitors are designed for a very flat response.

You're right, I forgot about the emphasis part. What other good studio headphones do you suggest aside from the ATH-AD900xs? Thanks!

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Hello!

My friend uses a ATH-M50 for mixing and I don't see any complaints from him. If you need something neutral, I would suggest you the Incase Sonic or the Shure SRH-840. For a bit emphasis on the bass dept, it would be UE6000.

Hope it helps!
Quote:

How does the ATH-AD900X sound? So far, I have read only one review about them and would like to see more people's opinion. Really interested in these! I will be getting ComplyFoam eartips for my XBA-4 sooner or later. If the ATH-AD900X compliments my portable combo, I might as well get one pair for reference use XD

Billson :)

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 12
Out of the headphones you listed, I'd say the best sounding are probably the AD900x, followed by the DT770's. Never tried the AD900x, but I tried the AD700x and unfortunately they were lacking (for me) in the low end. It was very bass light so it didn't suit my genres very well.

The DT770's, on the other hand, are really bassy which I very much liked. Although a bit bulky, they're portable also and will isolate very well.

Now to answer your questions:

An amp is necessary for headphones with high impedence. It will give more juice to your headphone allowing it to reach its full potential. I recommend the Fiio E07K as a starter DAC/amp.

The difference between headphone impedence is that generally higher impedence headphones are harder to drive. For example, you can get the 16ohm beyerdynamic custom one pro's and get them to an extreme volume level using your phone, because they have low impedence. However, if you get something like the Sennheiser HD650, which is 300ohms, you won't get a good volume level by using your phone. You'll need a dedicated amp.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about DJing so I can't give any information about that.

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
My vote goes to vmoda m80. Less then 150 on amazon.

Thanks, i'll check it out!

Quote:
Out of the headphones you listed, I'd say the best sounding are probably the AD900x, followed by the DT770's. Never tried the AD900x, but I tried the AD700x and unfortunately they were lacking (for me) in the low end. It was very bass light so it didn't suit my genres very well.

The DT770's, on the other hand, are really bassy which I very much liked. Although a bit bulky, they're portable also and will isolate very well.

Now to answer your questions:

An amp is necessary for headphones with high impedence. It will give more juice to your headphone allowing it to reach its full potential. I recommend the Fiio E07K as a starter DAC/amp.

The difference between headphone impedence is that generally higher impedence headphones are harder to drive. For example, you can get the 16ohm beyerdynamic custom one pro's and get them to an extreme volume level using your phone, because they have low impedence. However, if you get something like the Sennheiser HD650, which is 300ohms, you won't get a good volume level by using your phone. You'll need a dedicated amp.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about DJing so I can't give any information about that.

I'm a little hesitant concerning the ATH-AD900xs mainly because they're open-back headphones, and I plan on mixing with them... will it be a problem?

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 12
If you going to use these for mixing I would get the DT 770's or Shure SRH-840/940's, The M-80's are great but I wouldn't mix on them

Open cans are fine for mixing off a laptop they just wont have the isolation, there's the AD900 and the AD900x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back