Which pads you like best for your Grado ?
Mar 5, 2005 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Nak Man

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure this kind of poll has been done before, it's only that I can't find the thread.
biggrin.gif

So please, I'd like to know Gray-doh owners' pads of choice to go along with your beloved cans. All this time I found modded RatShack pads to give best sonic attributes for sr80, and never have the guts to cut the hole on my one and only 414 pads (have to wait a long time to get them !) ... until tonight. And very glad that I finally did that ! Reversed 414 pads give ratshack sound, if not better, with the comfort that I sorely missed.

Just for fun I measured pads thickness and resulting sound to my ear:
- 414 regular: 0.87cm = thick sound with unfocused bass
- 414 modded: same as above with better treble
- Reversed bowl: 1.05cm = better bass, treble more alive (uncomfortable !)
- Reversed 414: 1.2cm = just right !
- RS modded: 1.3cm = almost similar to above, slightly harsh treble
- Bowl: 1.5cm = wow ... loose bass, bright and thin tonal balance

Pics of inserted foam beneath the RS pads to increase the ear distance:

rspadded.jpg

414rev.jpg

I also found the reversed 414 to work extremely well with my Nak SP7, bass suddenly came out and no more harsh treble. Made me more convinced that they share similar driver design with Grados. =)

Thanks !
600smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 42
I like vwap pads for hip hop and bowls for everything else.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 42
Bowls are allright and give some more detail,
but Flats are just so much "fuller" and "head-bang-tacular"

So flats it is, however I'm yet to try the vwaps, I'll have to do that someday

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 42
Yeah now I realize than the bowls are just much thin in the sound they give.
The bass are not very present, but dynamic and thinner. Compared to the flats.
I'll have to experience them a bit more...

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
What do the "Reversed bowls" look like ?? I recieved mine this morning, and I agree about the loss of bass, but I can't understand how you can reverse them !!
eek.gif

I'd like to take pics but there are 2 already up there.
wink.gif

You can pull out your bowl pads and force them to fit backwards. Just give it a try but don't leave them like that for a long time, otherwise you'll ruin the thin inner edges of original foam. If you're happy with the sound of bowls then there's no need to try it. I found the closer distance to ear make the sound more full and round. Also the thicker surround 'density' of reversed bowl (compared to large hollow bowl's space) bring more bass out of my sr80. I found something in between the 2 positioning works best, but at least you'll get the idea of those extremes.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 42
Lou, thanks for your comment ! I agree those Beyer pads are on the ultra comfort zone. I believe you're one of the lucky firsts to have a taste of beta pads. Btw I'm waiting for your comment on closed Koss inquiry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: I have had most of the pads in the post but for me and many others it seems the C PADS from Headphile are miles better sounding and way more comfortable.
http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/4684beyercloseup.jpg
Also see my avatar

However they are almost a 1/3rd of the cost of my headphones.

Maybe if I has RS-1s or PS-1s.....or If someday upgratis hits and I'm short on funds.

But right now I'm not sure if their worth it.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 42
Nak Man
HI: I have no comments on Koss closed cans. But I will say that out of all the Koss that I have own, 35, 75, sportapro, portapro, UR40 I like the Koss UR40 the very best with two mods. The UR40 has full size cups and gives a full size sound and are very portable and comfortable. They fold up. I use the UR40 for my portable radio and get a very nice full sound with them.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 42
taylor
HI: How are you. You are bad. LOL. You made me take my 590 pads off and put them on your grado 60 I think they were. LOL. To bad the fit wasn't very good with all that space but it was fun and a good idea on your part.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 42
Flat Pads!! But I have HP-2’s so that’s what they were designed for.

I called Joe Grado once to see about getting my headphones serviced. When he found out I wasn’t using the Flat Pads (which were unobtanium at the time) he told me I was crap out of luck and he wouldn’t help me since I wasn’t using the headphones correctly. It was a blast talking to him even though he told me to F-Off.

I had the headphones serviced and bought 2 pair of flat pads from him for $50 a pair.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back