Which pads for old vintage AKG K500?
Sep 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lumos

100+ Head-Fier
I bought used, old vintage AKG K500 headphones and I am wondering which replacement pads I would be better to use? I can order K501 K601 K701 (others also) but original K500 pads are no longer available anywhere (googled :D)

Do you have any experience or idea which would be better? how much significantly other pads change sound?

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 4
  I bought used, old vintage AKG K500 headphones and I am wondering which replacement pads I would be better to use? I can order K501 K601 K701 (others also) but original K500 pads are no longer available anywhere (googled :D)

Do you have any experience or idea which would be better? how much significantly other pads change sound?

Have you tried calling Harman parts department? I could have sworn that someone was able to still order K501 pads! You can talk to Frank there.

To get as close to stock sound as possible the only option is K601 pads. They're around $40 for both pads shipped from Harman/AKG. They do had a little warmth.

Do you have the K500 pads with clear screens that allow you to see the driver? They are the ones without the brown edges on the back.

I don't suggest Q701/K702 or "Anniversary" pads.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 4

Have you tried calling Harman parts department? I could have sworn that someone was able to still order K501 pads! You can talk to Frank there.

To get as close to stock sound as possible the only option is K601 pads. They're around $40 for both pads shipped from Harman/AKG. They do had a little warmth.

Do you have the K500 pads with clear screens that allow you to see the driver? They are the ones without the brown edges on the back.

I don't suggest Q701/K702 or "Anniversary" pads.

Heya tdockweiler

Thank you for the response, I can order K501 pads, no problem, for 9 Euro (in Germany)

headphones may come with clear screen I have not received them yet.
OK, I think I end up to buy both and compare how they perform :))

BTW I am wondering how much different is K500 from K501

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Hmmm I am hesitating which to order    choice 1: K501 pads and spare cable (It might be needed if original is very dirty or smelly :D) or choice 2: K501 pads and K601 pads. too bad I don't have enough money for everything
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back