Which over-ear for gym use...?
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

supawabb

New Head-Fier
Back in 2013 I purchase a set of V-Moda Crossfade LP Over-ear headphone based on replies I received here. I did try the search function and am unable to find any recent discussions on this topic, but what would you guys suggest as a replacement for the LP's as they have seen better days?

Wired or wireless is fine.

Price: under $200 USD

Are the current V-Modas worth looking at? How is the sound quality between the LP2's vs the Crossfade 2 wireless?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 17
V-Modas aren't talked a lot about here anymore. I recall someone mentioning them 6 months ago. I don't own any V-Modas but I have heard them described as "general consumer tuning". Looking at a graph provided from RTINGS, the C2 emphasizes the full bass range and has significant dips at 6k and 8k.

The truth is that closed, BT headphones are going to be objectively worse than normal "audiophile" headphones because of bottlenecks. Is there a particular reason why you want an over-ear? On-ears seem more practical and earbuds are even more practical for strict gym usage.

By all means, if you have an emotional connection with the V-modas, feel free to pick them up. Otherwise, there aren't many wireless options that I could think of. Perhaps a Momentum 3, used WH-1000XM3, or Bose QC35 II/similar models (Soundlink?): good ANC performance (minus the Soundlink), good customization via apps, and I believe the Momentum 3s have good clamp. Note: The only one I own is the XM3 and the clamp force is okay. On-ears tend to have more clamp force. Wired is a different story, but I recall myself or the weights catching on the cable fairly often. Quite annoying for me but I haven't cared enough to tuck the cable under a shirt.

If you asked me to choose, I would pick an in-ear: AKG N400/NC or Airpods Pro (for Apple users). Not sure about the Airpods Pro, but the AKGs have fairly good harman sound (according to Crinacle's personal rankings), IPX7, passive noise isolation, small mass, are cable-free, and grippy wings/fins.

You could search for specific V-Moda headphones under the tab "Head Gear Items". RTINGS.com has their own review (including gym ratings) of some V-Moda models. Also, the internet has a lot of lists that are in your criteria.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 17
I picked up a Shokz OpenRun for exercising. The bone conducting technology is neat. It's not audiophile-grade by any means, but better than you might think, and the main advantage is that the thing is totally sealed and waterproof. So you can sweat all over it, wear it outside in the rain, rinse it off in the kitchen sink, etc, no problem.

It's also nice that it doesn't actually cover your ears but rather sit in front of them, so if you're exercising outdoors, like, say, running city blocks, you're still perfectly aware of your surroundings.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 17
Cheesebuggah,
I prefer the feel and fit of an over-ear more so than an on-ear or in-ear, as well I tend to have less interruptions (people I know coming over to talk) when I have the over ears on vs the in-ears. In ears, I have never found them super comfortable. The corded over ears, I simply run the cord under my shirt. never had an issue this way.

I have 2 pairs of ATH-M50's, but the clamping force is not enough for the gym to keep them on my melon.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 17
Back in 2013 I purchase a set of V-Moda Crossfade LP Over-ear headphone based on replies I received here. I did try the search function and am unable to find any recent discussions on this topic, but what would you guys suggest as a replacement for the LP's as they have seen better days?

Wired or wireless is fine.

Price: under $200 USD

Are the current V-Modas worth looking at? How is the sound quality between the LP2's vs the Crossfade 2 wireless?
What will your source be? And as you mentioned, a snug fit is important in the gym.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 17
Source: iPhone
So you need something relatively easy to drive. If you're more concerned with sound performance than appearance, I'd recommend the Drop Meze 99 Noir. I use my Classics in the gym all the time. I don't really care much about what people think. Can't help with any wireless recommendations, as I don't use them. Sennheiser might be a good place to start otherwise..

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 17
Source: iPhone
This is my suggestion to you and you will be good to go for the gym.

Get you an iFi XCan or iFi Goblu. The XCan has more power but go Blu is like Mighty Mouse. They both will connect to iPhone via Bluetooth.

Then get you a used pair of Meze Lirics. You will be all set. They don’t require much power but scales beautifully.

If you don’t want to to use DAC/Amp get the Focal Bathys.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 17
This is my suggestion to you and you will be good to go for the gym.

Get you an iFi XCan or iFi Goblu. The XCan has more power but go Blu is like Mighty Mouse. They both will connect to iPhone via Bluetooth.

Then get you a used pair of Meze Lirics. You will be all set. They don’t require much power but scales beautifully.

If you don’t want to to use DAC/Amp get the Focal Bathys.
I'm pretty sure he said his budget was 200 dollars. Plus I'm not sure anyone would wear a 1,600 headphone to the gym to get sweat all over.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 17
I like audiophile sound as much as the next guy, but honestly for this use case I'd just go with a low-mid end Bluetooth phone with ANC.

With all the typical gym noises, even a closed-back is going to let in a lot of competing noise unless you turn the music up to hearing-damaging levels

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 17
I don't hear anything other than my music when using the 99 Classics in the gym. And I appreciate the above average sound, as it helps me work harder, which leads to better results.
If the OP is just looking for wireless set, that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 17
I'd hate to disappoint you in this thread, but I cannot recommend anything for your use case at this time based on your criteria. None of the over-ear headphones hold their position well, if at all, whenever you move your head even slightly.

And please note that I said the word "cannot" as in I am unable to come up with a suitable headphone for that use, not that I am advising against over-ears in general.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back