Which Outputs/Inputs to use, XLR to RCA, or RCA to RCA?
May 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PabloDiner

Head-Fier

Currently i am looking to connect a LD DAC-I to a LD MKIII there are two choices for output/input,  RCA out on DAC --> RCA in on MK III, or XLR --> RCA in?

moz-screenshot-1.png
I have read XLR has the better sound quality but the conversion to RCA might be a degredation over RCA to RCA.

Also any recommendations on some short cables (these will be stacked) im looking at a few cheap o's on Monoprice but cant find any cables under 3 feet and coax only in singles (so that i would have to purchase 3 sets of 2)

thanks for your opinions

May 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Even though there are adapters as such? I'll Probably take your advice, but just curious, thanks for the response.

The XLR plugs do not share a common ground,but they will if you plug them into the rca inputs of your amp,do not know if this will cause damage,but why bother.

The reason the DAC has RCA outs is to feed an amp with RCA inputs so can see no logic going another route.

May 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
The XLR plugs do not share a common ground,but they will if you plug them into the rca inputs of your amp,do not know if this will cause damage,but why bother.

The reason the DAC has RCA outs is to feed an amp with RCA inputs so can see no logic going another route.

Ill stick with the RCA plugs, your right no need to risk it. On those grounds, do you have any recommendations for cables? Something really short like 6 inches to a foot since they only have to travel directly underneath. thanks again for your help.

May 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I remember reading  some posts a while about people liking the sound from an xlr>rca more more than  rca>rca

I thought i had read that somewhere also, but i have read that RCA to RCA is the way to go, RCA is quite a bit cheaper for some decent cables which may be the deciding factor for me. but i may mess around with xlr later if its not quite satisfying

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Just received the Blue Jean Cables RCA to RCA LC-1  and MSA-1 2 RCA to 1/8th Stereo jack but haven't had a chance to do any audible listening to them yet (got home from class, had ten minutes to leave for work) XLR to RCA from Monoprice should be here within the next couple days.

But i just wanted to comment on how fast these things shipped, i ordered them yesterday morning around 9AM and they showed up today!? I'm pretty sure i didn't pay for overnight shipping....They are out of Seattle and i live in Oregon, but still.........Fast!!

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 15
you really have one option - RCA to RCA - the only reason I'd use that rca to xlr cable is if the dac didn't have rca ports. better off with a decent rca cable that the cheap one, imo

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Blue jean RCA/RCA for 1 foot came out to be $23, and MSA-1 RCA/18th headphone 4ft  was $27 plus $3 for shipping so $53 shipped, while monoprice xlr to rca were 4 a piece plus i ordered a set of RCA to RCA to compare for $2, shipped for $13 bucks. 
confused_face.gif
we'll see if theres any big difference, if any difference at all. my wife hates this forum ha ha

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 15
There is a reason the XLR output may be better...it is usually a hotter signal. Pro XLR outputs are typically between 6-10 db hotter than the consumer RCA. If the input stage can handle the hotter signal without overloading, you may get bigger dynamics with a lower noise floor. You'll miss out on the common noise rejection you get with a pure balanced setup, but the hotter signal may sound better (more dynamics/impact). If, on the other hand, the input stage overloads, it will sound fuzzy.

I'd write David and ask him if the hotter input will overload the amp's input stage. I'd be particularly interested in the answer since I have the LD-III and have a DAC 1 on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back