Which option will sound better?
Mar 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Painterspal

100+ Head-Fier
Assuming the downstream components (USB DAC, dedicated amp, headphones etc) are the same, which option will provide the best sound quality for playing HD files: a Mac mini with an SSD drive and the music files on a separate external drive, or an iPad using the Onkyo player?

Apologies for what might be a stupid question - please humour me...

Thanks for any advice

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 3
Depends almost entirely on the power supply (other factors are negligible). If the DAC isn't USB powered then it should be pretty much the same. If the DAC is USB powered and is sensitive to noisy VBUS then I have no idea because I'm not an Apple person.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. The DAC is currently the Chord Mojo and I'm using the Ifi USB power to filter the power when connected to the mains or running it straight off the battery.

My assumption is that their isn't much in it, but I'm conscious that there are a range of software options for the Mac (Amarra etc), each of which offers a slightly different flavour to the sound, and potentially the chance of better quality. There's very limited choice for the iPad if you want to play HD files.

I can't help feeling that the iPad (or an iPhone for that matter) would be cheaper and wouldn't necessarily lose much, while also being portable.

However, computer audio is very popular so I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back