Which opened back headphones have the best sound stage under £150?
Jul 25, 2018 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Epsilon95

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

i am currently in the market for some new headphones opened back. i have a budget around 150 but would like it to be less. i am not a bass head but i like to know its there, i can't try out any cans before i buy so its a bit difficult. i listen to classical/orchestral music and also jazz and rock. i will be connecting them to my PC and will use them to game as well ( not competitively).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as i'm finding it quite hard to choose the right ones.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm not yet versed in a wide range of high-end headphones, but my Audio Technica ATH-SR5BTBKs are great, and they cost exactly that much! In reviews, a few people said they want more bass; to me, there's plenty. You can hear it just fine. Hook it to a Boomstick and it's even better.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 8
AKG K702

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 8

Maybe a K7XX (or K702). But do you have an amp for these headphones?

I will toss the K701 in there,but all these AKGs need an amp.

The only headphone that I own that has a notable stage that doesnt require an amp is the Fidelio X1/X2.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I will toss the K701 in there.

Soundstage is surely big in the AKG K701, which by the way is the K7-series I currently own.
But I've owned two AKG K702 in the past, and the soundstage (at least to my ears) was more coherent as a whole.
Vocals were more focused and allowed a better sense of depth.

AKG K701 might project slightly bigger objects in space, but the combination of very wide stage and very forward presentation sometimes works against the perception of depth and ultimate accuracy.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi all,
I am currently in the market for some new headphones opened back. i have a budget around 150 but would like it to be less. i am not a bass head but i like to know its there, i can't try out any cans before i buy so its a bit difficult. i listen to classical/orchestral music and also jazz and rock. i will be connecting them to my PC and will use them to game as well ( not competitively).
Any advice will be greatly appreciated as i'm finding it quite hard to choose the right ones.
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, stronge bass/treble, but good over all sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back