Which Open Headphones Sound Most Like the Ety 4s? Buying advice?
Sep 27, 2001 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dgs

100+ Head-Fier
I am an avid reader and relatively infrequent poster here and at headwize (or at least, I was), and I have often based my decisions for audiophile products on everyone’s opinions here, whether solicited by me or not.

So, with that in mind, I am looking for some new headphones, and I’d like some opinions from you guys.

I currently own the Senn 580, Grado SR60, Sony v6, Ety 4p (with Pumphrey 4s conversion cable), and various earbuds and cheaper phones (ie. Koss Sporta Pro and K35).

Since I got the 4p (about a year ago), and especially since I got the 4s cable (about 3 months ago), I haven’t really been enjoying my other headphones as much. The etys just have the sound I love, crystal clear without overly-represented bass, non-fatiguing, transparent high end, and so on (see my review of the 4p vs 4s in the full-featured headphone review section if you want more details).

Since I am using my headphones a lot at work or at my computer, I have been using a TA to drive my phones out of a panasonic 470 cdp. And with this set up, I have been finding the following to be true:

My senn580s seem to be a bit too dark with that combination. They sound much better to me out of my home set up (an old Yamaha CDP with a powerful headphone jack).

My sr60s sound better, but they are not at all refined. Grainy high end, fatiguing, not much detail.

Sony v6, eh, too closed-in sounding and harsh high end. Not particularly musical.

So I am looking for some cans that will sound most like the etys, since that’s the sound I like with this combination of hardware. I listen to all types of music, but mostly rock, jazz, and classical.

The headphones I have been considering are
- AKG 501, and maybe 401
- Beyer 931, 990
- Senn 495

AKG 501/401: people’s descriptions of these make them sound like etys, clear and accurate without overrepresented bass. My concern with these is that they will not sound great out of a TA. I can upgrade my portable amp to a DIY if I can get someone to build it for me…has anyone tried these with a TA? How about with a cosmic or supreme?

Beyer 931/990: these phones seem to get mixed reviews regarding brightness, muddiness, bass response, and so on. Any experience with these out of a TA?

Senn 495: sort of a toss-in of a lower priced phone. I suspect that these would sound dark with the TA just like the 580’s, but maybe not…anyone care to comment?

- Which of these would you suggest for my current use, and why? Or do you have other suggestions?

Sep 27, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 13
DT-931 are the most similar to Ety 4S of all headphones I have heard. Except the treble which is too strong. Yes, DT-931 are very bright. But they are not muddy by ANY stretch of imagination. They are very transparent and detailed.

DT-990 are similar to DT-931 but are in my opinion a little bit muddy. Their bass is much stronger and I'd say for people who like bass this would be a good choice, even though it seems to be a bit less controlled that with DT-931. Also DT-990 are really exceptionally well constructed. I just love how solid they feel like. Put them on, they don't move. Leather headband is great.

Sep 27, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Just so you know, I don't use the processor at all--waaaay to dark.

Sep 27, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 13
I feel that the HD580/600 are the closest to the Ety's that I've heard, but only when using a better amp than the TA. Even with crossfeed off, the TA is a bit dark when matched with the 580s.

Maybe instead of looking for another set of cans, you might consider getting a better amp? If you buy from HeadRoom, you can test it out for 30 days to see if that does the trick...

Sep 27, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 13
>But, through a TA w/ processor, the 931's wouldnt be bright, >right?

Who knows? It might. I tried to tame the "Beyer treble" for months with all kind of tricks and didn't get anywhere. I can enjoy them with some recordings, and cringe with others. In this case I'd really recommend buying with 15 or 30 day return policy.

Sep 27, 2001 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 13
hey aos please do a short review of DT990's! Is the "slight muddiness" the lesser of two evils compared to 931 brightness. What do you think of a 220 ohm jack driving 931 in terms of muddiness/clarity vs 990. And is the bass even stronger than a 580/600?

I don't think it would be very easy to get an open phone to sound much like Ety's...you'll get close but probably no cigars. AKG501, the bass is actually not as good as Ety's IMO. You should definitely audition it however. I would put the DT931's closer, but definitely no cigar again because its definitely brighter and the Ety's are more musical. IMO it'd be hard to match Ety's with the TA since the Ety's probably couple with the TA surely better than an AKG501 would. Again the DT931 with TA and x-feed may do something about treble...but again that is the problem with the DT831/931 beyers is that the treble does need to be tamed. The Ety's are more musical than either 501 or 931 IMO.

I would have to agree with aos...you can get the DT931 brightness to be "mostly" behaved...but in the end it still may have a little too much treble. Myself I'm running it out of a 220 ohm jack...the earpads have long been squished in a bit from use and age(also helps with treble), and positioned front and down a bit. I find that it fixes treble *most* of the time. The AKG501 is an easy to relax with phone, again the DT931 in comparison is more exciting to listen to, but that comes at its own cost. I noticed you complained about V6 treble and musicality...which would definitely mean to me that the DT931 easily may fall into the same trap(although their far superior soundstage may alleviate it a little).

IMO although the DT931 sounds closer, the 501 is still a nice relax and sit-back headphone that although I don't think you should expect Ety performance in plenty of areas and in comparison can be not as particularly exciting, it does have a soundstage that although somewhat overdone, can be fun at times to listen to.

Since you stress a non-fatiguing sound I would audition the K501's before the DT931's. Imo, the Ety's has some of the better qualities of Senns, Beyers, and AKG's. How far off would you say your TA + 580 are? Because you do have to keep in mind that either 501's or DT931 will come with their own set of possible weaknesses. And I would have to imagine that the 580 +TA should still be good enough to best the 495 + TA.

Sep 27, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 13
I have a 495 - with JMT Penguin - and they are indeed very satisfying cans.

Good mids, nice bass - and, dgs - NO LONGER GRAINY TREBLE!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's right the treble may lack clarity or "snap" - but isn't slightly grainy like they were out of the box.

however - if you are considering 580, GO FOR IT. The 580 was out of my price range when i got my 495s....they still are, too
redface.gif

Sep 28, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the replies you guys. Unfortunately, I don't feel any closer to a decision. It sounds like the akg 501s, but the question of how they would sound with the TA (both in darkness and sheer power needs) still leaves me hesitan (since I don't know the answer). The Beyers sound pretty good too, but I'm not a fan of overly bright headphones either, and I don't think I'm willing to buy a headphone that will only sound good out of a TA or similarly dark amp. Hmmm...

I'm leaning towards the akg501s and a better amp (I'm looking at you JMT or Thomas). But thanks for the advice everyone.

And coolvij: I have the 580s, but they are too dark with the TA. Much better with a better source, but still not as detailed as the ety's IMO.

Sep 28, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Any comments on the 401s? Same clarity? Better bass? easier to drive?

Sep 28, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 13
AKG501's are never dark. They indeed make Senns sound slightly dark. In fact I would consider the AKG501 to be ever so slightly thin, without being bright. Depending on the recording and how much volume you want, I was able to make my TA clip with AKG501's. But again these are polite sounding phones, and at a very polite volume, it should be ok.

Sep 28, 2001 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 13
thanks, Tim D. It sounds like the 501s are my next thing to check out. Have you (or anyone else) heard the 401s? Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back