Which open headphones should I trade my Sony MDR-V6's for?
Dec 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

solbergg

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys.

I've been using a pair of MDR-V6's for computer use, which consists of listening to music, videos, VOIP, and some gaming, but usually only of the strategy and RPG variety, no first person shooters.  The headphones are nice, if a little subdued for my tastes.  The biggest issue I have with them is that they are closed.  When I am speaking with someone over VOIP.  I prefer the sound of an open headphone, plus it annoys me to hear a muted version of my voice when speaking.

So, I figured it would make sense to try to trade these for a pair of used open headphones of equivalent value.  It looks like my headphones sell for about $90 new on Amazon.  I also upgraded the earpads to felt, so that would probably increase their value a little bit, depending on the buyer.  Obviously my cans are not new, but used values are a bit more fluid, so comparing the cost of headphones when new is an easier metric.  So, I'm looking for suggestions on open, full size  headphones that sell new in the ~$100 range.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hey, guys.

I've been using a pair of MDR-V6's for computer use, which consists of listening to music, videos, VOIP, and some gaming, but usually only of the strategy and RPG variety, no first person shooters.  The headphones are nice, if a little subdued for my tastes.  The biggest issue I have with them is that they are closed.  When I am speaking with someone over VOIP.  I prefer the sound of an open headphone, plus it annoys me to hear a muted version of my voice when speaking.

So, I figured it would make sense to try to trade these for a pair of used open headphones of equivalent value.  It looks like my headphones sell for about $90 new on Amazon.  I also upgraded the earpads to felt, so that would probably increase their value a little bit, depending on the buyer.  Obviously my cans are not new, but used values are a bit more fluid, so comparing the cost of headphones when new is an easier metric.  So, I'm looking for suggestions on open, full size  headphones that sell new in the ~$100 range.

Thanks!

Used Sennheiser HD558s sell for just over $100.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 5
  I actually came across the 518/558's from my search as well.  So far they're my top pick.

Note: Members have written that HD518 has considerably more bass than others in the HD5x8 series and graphs confirm this.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 5
The Sennheiser HD555's have a bit of the open sound feature you're looking for, but they might be a couple of bucks over the value of your headphones. I checked their price a while ago, so I'm not sure how much they are now, but just letting you know for more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back