Which online Trading company should I use?
Jan 13, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 9
as with everything...are you looking to invest each month or once a year? how much advice do you want? etc...
that said i use etrade for some accounts and (have a broker as well at AGedwards) and it is ok but dont expect advice..it is pretty much diy. i think vanguard is pretty good for a diy with low fees and good funds to chooose from. good luck

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 9
...as the investment world has become the equivalent of a walk in a dark alley. Pitfalls and traps lie everywhere, so if you must "invest," keep as much control to yourself as you possibly can. Beyond that, I can not advise.

Laz

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Find a good broker at UBS or one of the other large investment firms. The Broker could probably create a portfolio for you depending on the risks you wish to take.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 9
I am going to be investing monthly probably through a roth IRA for now, other stuff as well but I am a college student and only make 25k a year, that being said my parents pay for everything but rent so I will reach the $4,000 limit of the IRA this year and will be investing another $6,000 to $8,000 on top of that. I am really looking for a good discount brokerage firm as I like doing my own research and picking my own stuff, I have lots of time. I really just want to get a jump on this retirement/savings thing early especially when I can save 40-50% of what I make.

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd recommend Vanguard....they have online tools to help you invest, but they don't give a whole lot of advise. They're really good about low fees, and their funds are pretty good performers. They also have a brokerage house, that lowers its fees once you have enough invested in Vanguard. Fidelity and T Row Price offer the same things too. If you need more advice you may like a local brokerage house, if you find a financial consultant that you trust. I used to have UBS. My first consultant was very good, and gave sound advice. Then I got transfered to another one who was completely horrible: tried to sell me on their managed portfolio- Every page showed how great of a return I could get, only at the very end, in very fine print, did they list the huge fees
eek.gif
eek.gif
That was enough to get me to switch to Vanguard.

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I second Vanguard. They were recommended to me by my girlfriend's mother. You really get to do everything yourself, with only minimal fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back